Recent content by jesseleite

1. J

Ludwig's website? Plus Centennial Pics!

I was just wondering what's up with Ludwig's website? Apparently they discontinued the Centennial drums a while back now, but I only found that out by reading drummerworld here. Is their website really that outdated? Also, when does Ludwig publish their 2012 drum and hardware catalog? Also...
  2. J

How tight can you safely tune a skin up?

How tight can you safely tune a skin up? I guess this depends on the skin and the shell, but I am wondering how tight I can safely tune up reso heads on my floor toms. Using a drum dial like guage I currently have them almost as tight as my snare reso skin (wow that's tight) and I am wondering...
  3. J

Reso head impact?

How much of an impact do reso heads have on sound? I bought all new batter heads for my Ludwig Centennial kit, but no resos yet because I feel I can use the stock reso heads for a little while. Will I notice much of a sound difference when I switch from my stock Ludwig reso heads to Remo Clear...
  4. J

Show off your drum rugs!

Sorry if this there has been a thread like this already (if so, I can delete this one). Anyway, I'm looking for a cool area rug to use for my drums. Show off your drum rugs!
  5. J

My New Ludwig Centennials (good and bad news!)

Hi All, Back in November I ordered a set of Ludwig Centennials in green sparkle from my local Ludwig dealer. They said it would be about 8 weeks as they needed to build my order (maybe the Centennials are built to order kits? or maybe just the green sparkle was not in stock at the time?)...
  6. J

Mallets... soft felt VS. hard felt?

Mallets... soft felt VS. hard felt? I am looking for a good set of mallets that: 1) Are great for cymbal rolls 2) Are great for dynamic tom playing 3) Have a decent weight to them similar to a regular stick What would you guys recommend for a good diverse mallet? There are so many options...
  7. J

Bass Drum Felt Strip?

So I bought some white felt from the local Fabricland to cut into strips for my bass drum. I am trying to get close to a big open Bonham sound (I'm sick of the super dead pillow muffling sound, so I thought I'd try the felt strip). What width is the average strip? What do you guys recommend?
  8. J

Piggybacking Splash?

I have always had my splashes on a separate stand, but I see many people "piggybacking" them on top of a crash (mounted upside down). Are there any disadvantages to this? Is it unhealthy for the cymbal to be hit upside down?
  9. J

Tom Angle (Angled VS. Flat?)

Hi Guys, What's your opinion on tom angle. I see lots of players with their rack tom almost completely flat. I've always played with a pretty steep, enough angle so that my stick is hitting the toms at about the same angle my stick hits the snare at. What is the advantage of playing with a...
  10. J

Older Sabian B8 Pro Hi-Hats?

I have an older set of 14" Sabian Hi-Hats. They look very old and the logos have almost completely worn off them. I've attached pictures below. You can faintly see the big black Sabian logo on the outside of the bottom hat. I can also see the sabian stamp on both the top and bottom hats, but...
  11. J

Snare Tuning Question...

I have ordered a Ludwig Centennial kit and so now I will have 3 snares: 1) Pearl Piccolo (that I won as a door prize at a local drum clinic!) 2) Ludwig Acrolite "Blackrolite" 5x14" (metal snare) 3) Ludwig Centennial 6.5x14" (maple snare) My question is about the latter two drums... I want to...
  12. J

Identify model of older Sabian cymbal?

Hello, I have an older Sabian cymbal that my Dad gave to me. It was my first crash, and I love the sound. I am curious to know what it is though as it doesn't show AA, HH, or any form of model logo on it. Instead it says "THIN CRASH" in capital outlined letters, right beneath the sabian stamp...
  13. J

I just ordered a Ludwig Centennial kit :)

Just yesterday I ordered a Ludwig Centennial kit in green sparkle lacquer with a few extra toms. It's a 7 piece kit in the following config: 20x24" bass drum, 6.5x14" snare, 10", 12", 14" rack toms, and 16", 18" floor toms. I'm really excited about the huge 24" bass and 18" floor tom. I'm told...
  14. J

Ludwig Snare Info & Appraisal?

Hello, My Dad offered to give me this Ludwig snare that's been passed into the family and I just want more info on it. I believe it was originally a cousins who used it for music, so I don't believe it's that old (although she may have bought it used, I don't know). Anyway, I'm no Ludwig...
  15. J

Buddy Rich's Modern Interpretation of Modern Snare Drum Rudiments

I just bought the book and DVD combo called "Buddy Rich's Modern Interpretation of Modern Snare Drum Rudiments", which was a collaboration between Henry Adler and Buddy Rich, and recently revised by Ted Mackenzie (who also teaches on the DVD). My question is for those of you who have book...
Back