Recent content by JeffCrouse

1. JeffCrouse

Copped a Canopus NV60 Bop Kit.

That's great! Man, I'd love to hear these. I've been a lifelong Gretsch fan. I'm playing a set of USA custom in bop sizes. Do you happen to have a video?
  2. JeffCrouse

Jason Brown

Adam! I followed the links from your blog -> website -> to your recording with Dan Wilson and Pat Bianchi! I'm listening to Crusts on Monday and really enjoying this. The trio sounds fantastic. I love organ trios. You've got a great drum and cymbal sound on here and I'm digging your...
  3. JeffCrouse

INTRODUCTIONS: Please Use This Thread To Introduce Yourself!

Real name? Jeff Crouse Age? 42 How long have you been playing? 32 years Origin of user name? Yep Your top 5 drummers? Elvin Jones, Howard Curtis, Tony Williams, Jeff Hamilton, Bill Stewart Make of drumkit? Gretsch Make of cymbal? Zildjian/Istanbul Where do you practice? Home office/music room...
  4. JeffCrouse

Let's see your POV/ Driver's seat pics

Gretsch USA custom
  5. JeffCrouse

Buddy rich Sticks

I had a pair many moons ago. I seem to remember not liking how they sounded on cymbals.
  6. JeffCrouse

Certain songs groove more to you personally

Oh yeah...put me in a metal band and I would go cross-eyed! (so would the other musicians!) I feel at home in a handful of grooves.
  7. JeffCrouse

Jason Brown

I've been listening to Jason Brown for about a year playing with Joey DeFrancesco. Jason is a very creative drummer with a great feel. His feel and time on up tempos as well as slow are inspiring. Here's a video from Dizzy's New York. And this video is just one song, but it will make you...
  8. JeffCrouse

What are you doing drumwise during the lockdown?

Thanks man! I just printed it out!
  9. JeffCrouse

What famous drum or drum set would you like to play in person?

Tony Williams' drums & cymbals in his early years with Miles. I've heard so many recordings, I'd like to hear them face to face!
  10. JeffCrouse

Who are the top three drummers you admire and why ?

So many hero's but I'll give it a shot. Number one is clear to me but there are so many others! 1. Howard Curtis - My teacher starting in the summer after 6th grade. He was such an inspiration to me and helped find something I loved...hitting stuff. 2. Bill Stewart - Of the current guys...
  11. JeffCrouse

What are you doing drumwise during the lockdown?

I've been working on a paradiddle version of Three Camps as well as a snare solo called Flamboyant. It's written by my first teacher, Howard Curtis.
  12. JeffCrouse

LOUD brushes. How?

I also wanted to mention that the Jeff Hamilton brushes have wires thicker than the standard brush. They are louder when playing sweeping motions as well as up and down strokes. It's nice to have them as an option in your bag but I still like the sound of the standard brushes the best.
  13. JeffCrouse

What's your latest purchase?

I recently got a Ludwig Hammered Black Beauty snare. I'm still tweaking it but very happy to be playing it. Here's a video I just posted with some close ups and sounds.
  14. JeffCrouse

Muting for Jam Sessions

I would start with brushes. Everyone's ears will adjust to the room and you may be able to move to sticks or the hot rods.
  15. JeffCrouse

Show us that one cymbal you just couldn’t live without

Thanks! They are great for low volume situations. Lots of stick definition and not too much wash. Roy Haynes is making his cymbals sing on that recording!