Recent content by Jeff Almeyda

1. Jeff Almeyda

Why does everyone make fun of Lars?

The second and third albums really made him a big name in the metal drummer world. He was never a drummer's drummer, if you know what I mean. But he hit accents in unique places and had cool sounding fills and decently thought out beats. No one was hitting cymbal crashes with snare hits before...
  2. Jeff Almeyda

Great workout with relentless tempo and effort

John is the greatest death/extreme metal drummer in the world. Not even exaggerating
  3. Jeff Almeyda

Songs That Speed Up or Slow Down

I sometimes listen to great songs that breathe and think how today they would have been snapped to the grid and robbed of that much vitality. "Fool in the Rain" comes to mind. They speed up at the end of the Brazilian section and it adds just the perfect edge to it. Today, that song would have...
  4. Jeff Almeyda

The Yamaha pedals

There's a good chance you won't notice much. I'm interested to see if you notice a difference between double strokes from slow to fast.
  5. Jeff Almeyda

Going from chain to direct drive

If you have excellent technique, you can blaze on anything that is in working order. The differences are much less than what we are led to believe. I've toured with the same metal band using Pearl Eliminators with a strap, Axis Longboards and ACD Darwin with a strap drive mounted. The fastest...
  6. Jeff Almeyda

Going from chain to direct drive

The differences are overrated by the proponents of each type. They do show up more during longer double bass single stroke runs at higher tempos. When I say higher tempos, I mean 16ths at 210 and up. A non-metal player might not notice it nearly as much. No one talks about the plateless pedals...
  7. Jeff Almeyda

Ankle motion problem !

Do what Bid7h4 said, also try practicing the motion on the floor. Think of lifting your heels, Marthyn Jovanovic is maybe the best teacher of this stuff right now. This video is a must watch.
  8. Jeff Almeyda

I don’t know which one I like better!

The mechanical engineering behind a drum pedal isn't all that complex. I'm not surprised that Yamaha's pedal feels just as good as the DW. It just goes to show how much DW charges for the name, no?
  9. Jeff Almeyda

DW 5000 remote hat sluggishness

ACD Unlimited remote hihat blows everything currently available out of the water. I put my DW away after getting it. https://www.acd-unlimited.at/english/hardware/darwin-hihat/
  10. Jeff Almeyda

Offset double bass pedal

Check out this bad boy https://image.jimcdn.com/app/cms/image/transf/dimension=2048x2048:format=jpg/path/s0197e2b7fa293dfc/image/i47ea6db036a5e72f/version/1571047305/image.jpg
  11. Jeff Almeyda

Technique vs. groove.

This argument is just used by "groove" guys to excuse their lazy practice habits. Every good working player needs both. I can play at 240 BPM and I can also lock in with a click at 30 BPM. Most serious players can.
  12. Jeff Almeyda

Ankle weights?

Ankle weights will stengthen your hip flexors and quads, not your calves very much. They would strenghten those muscles used in slow and mid-tempo double bass more than those used for 200+ BPM stuff. If you want to strengthen your calves for fast double bass then seated calf raises for high...
  13. Jeff Almeyda

Who has a centered cable hat setup?

https://www.acd-unlimited.at/english/ Not cheap but awesome I’m on the artist roster and couldn’t be happier
  14. Jeff Almeyda

Who has a centered cable hat setup?

He stopped making them. I have one and it's great. Right now the best remote hi hat by far is the Darwin by ACD Unlimited. Dennis' bass drum pedals are taking the metal world by storm and his remote hi hat blows all the major brands out of the water for playability and convenience.