Recent content by JD Jones

1. J

University of North Texas Applied Lesson Plan PDF Files

Hello all. I spent some time at UNT as a jazz drum set major in the mid 90s and still have my old applied lesson handouts for jazz drum set, snare drum, mallets and timpani. I still use them occasionally for various technique things I want to work on. One day I was feeling nostalgic looking at...
  2. J

Weight Savings Replacing 302 Hoops on Gretsch Renown?

They were the stock heads on the Stage Custom. I have no doubt that one could probably get closer to a warmer sound using different heads, but other inexpensive kits manage to sound warmer and more resonant with cheap heads. Here are a couple of good reviews (from the same people) of both the...
  3. J

Groove oriented players you like?

A few faves: John Bonham Bernard Purdie Jim Keltner Ethan Johns (Ryan Adams, others) Jeff Porcaro Tom Brechtlein (w/ Robben Ford) Harvey Mason Bill Berry (REM) David Garibaldi
  4. J

Yeah, the build quality is great on the Stage Customs I will agree but you nailed it with the "lack of body" description. They are very articulate but too much impact sound and not enough meat for my taste. I never cared for the Recording Customs either so it's probably just a personal...
  5. J

Thanks again for all the replies. I think I will keep the Renowns and eventually buy something like a small Tama Superstar Classic or Catalina maple kit for those gigs that are a pain to deal with. I played some Yamaha Stage Customs and found them a little too harsh and short on sustain for my...
  6. J

I like the Renowns, I just didn't know they were heavier than every other drum set I've ever had when I ordered them. The way I see it given that I want something lighter I have two choices: sell them and replace them with something lighter of similar quality (looking long and hard at the Pearl...
  7. J

I saw that Weckl video quite a while ago when I was doing my research on what would end up being the Renown purchase but had forgotten about it. They do sound great and look great too, and I remember he played Recording Customs on his early records and instructional videos. How can Yamaha do...
  8. J

The cart thing is something to consider. I've got a decent folding mini-hand-cart I have used with some success. I am hesitant to add another large piece of equipment to the trunk though. I think I might give up on trying to lighten the Renowns. Seems like a combination of somewhat heavy shells...
  9. J

I might wait and see what I can afford in a few months. It's just that the Renowns are mint and I haven't bought bags for them and don't want to mess them up if I am selling them (they're beautiful piano black too so they would show every mark). Those GeorgeWays are super cool, never heard of...
  10. J

I like the sound of the Renown but at this point I just want a lightweight kit, preferably maple, that sounds good and won't put as much stress on my knees loading in and out. I prefer Gretsch in general (I don't like the look of Tama or the birch shells of the Stage Custom) so that is why I was...
  11. J

OK, I just heard back from my guy at Sweetwater. I had asked him about the weight difference between the Renown (302 hoops), Catalina Maple (2.3mm) and Catalina Club (1.6mm) in case I wanted to just sell the Renowns and go with another Gretsch kit. He contacted Gretsch and they told him the...
  12. J

I found the 1.6mm 5 lug hoops I need somewhere online, not too pricey. Lots of great drums have 2.3mm hoops or thinner so I am thinking it won't be too crazy to at least try. Probably no one has tried because the hoops are usually a selling point on the Gretsch kits. Moongels make it so easy to...
  13. J

The old RN1 mounts might have been heavier I don't know. All I know is these drums seem noticeably heavier than comparable drums I've had in the past. Even the bass drum is quite heavy for a 20" which leads me to believe shell density may have something to do with it since the BD hardware...
  14. J

I'm using whatever mounts come on the 2018 RN2 and they do seem heavy. I have never torn down any of my past drums to the bare shell so I don't know how heavy different woods and thicknesses are. It does seem to me that the hardware would be the first thing to consider. Along those lines, who...
  15. J

The Catalina Clubs are certainly on my short list if I end up replacing them, though the way some people talk about them I am worried they will be nearly as good as my Renowns and I will have to keep both sets. I know it wouldn't be the lightest option available (because of size) but the...