Recent content by Hollywood Jim

1. Hollywood Jim

The more I progress, the less it matters.

I think this phenomenon is related to; when a great professional drummer sits down with a junkie set of drums and makes them sound good? (Ha ! MntnMan62 above was thinking the same as me) .
  2. Hollywood Jim

Find Joy in Playing at the Level You Are Currently At

I run a weekly open mic jam. I watch a lot of drummers and other musicians play at jams. And I always evaluate their playing. It is hard to not do that. If nothing else I need to know how good they are as I put together groups of players for my jam. I never make negative comments about...
  3. Hollywood Jim

For those of you who tune to notes....question

I tune my toms to "Here comes The Bride". Don't ask me what notes they are cause I don't know. It's great for drum solos. But when you play un-miced and the electric guitars start up, it hardly matters. .
  4. Hollywood Jim

I don't care about movies much anymore

Sounds like Bermuda and some of you others don't have wives, girlfriends or boyfriends dragging you out to the movies. The last movie I saw was Little Women. Sometimes I need to sit in the dark, unwind, relax and take a nap. .
  5. Hollywood Jim

Zildjian ZBTs

If it were me, I’d go to....... wait for it..... wait for it...... Guitar Center. Try out their used cymbals right there in the store on one of their drum sets. I have 5 Guitar Centers near me so I’m sure in one day I could find something cheap that I could live with. .
  6. Hollywood Jim

Rock n Roller R6RT. A mod.

Hey, I have a Rock N Roller cart too. I could use a couple of extra inches. I'm gonna try this out. I'm thinking I could remove the spring loaded dome thingy and drill a hole where the fixed screws are when it is fully extended. And that way it will lock in at it's longest length. And I...
  7. Hollywood Jim

I Followed Bo's Advice...

I had an Evans G2 on the tom batter. Tuned rather high. Not changed from how it was tuned with the redo head. And these Toms are yamaha stage custom from 2000. They are deep Toms. Lots of tone. Microphones? Ha. No microphones here. So yes I understand lower tuned concert Toms with...
  8. Hollywood Jim

Hey headless tom lovers. Last night at my open jam I tried removing the reso head on one of my toms. I removed the reso on my 12" tom and left the reso on my 13" tom. The 12" had a slight boing' sound. Some weird overtone. It was not louder than it was with the reso head. And it did not...
  9. Hollywood Jim

Hey, most of the time I play with loud guitar players. I think I'm gonna try it too. I've never played with concert toms. But for me, I like to see the bottom hoops installed. So I'm going to simply cut a huge hole in the reso head.
  10. Hollywood Jim

Very First Kits

In 1963 my Father brought two new Slingerland drum sets. Both in silver sparkle. One for me and one for himself. I was 13 years old. I still have mine and my daughter still has my fathers kit. .
  11. Hollywood Jim

Show Us Your Set List

Yep, CI = Count in SD = Snare drum CS= Cross Stick J = one hit Brk = Break V = Verse C = Chorus TW = Thump Wack = very basic beat Words in green are Beatles songs. This instantly gives me the tempo Thanks for wondering. .
  12. Hollywood Jim

Dented Rogers Shell

It is easy to remove the dents. But it is rarely perfect again. But they can be removed so that you can hardly tell they existed. Remove all of the hardware. Use a hard rubber mallet and a flat hard wood surface. .
  13. Hollywood Jim

Asking for a friend

And I'm willing to bet that the drumming in this band is poor to mediocre. Should the other band members complain about this or quit the band? And I'm wondering if this guy is helping the band sound better than they did with the last drummer. .
  14. Hollywood Jim

Show Us Your Set List

Sounds like fun. Here are two sets from my gig last Saturday. Enjoy my secret codes............... .
  15. Hollywood Jim

Difference between cymbals of the same model

AND, the screw adjustment under the bottom cymbal that tilts the bottom cymbal could be set differently on the two hi hat stands. Thus causing the two sets of cymbals to come together (mate) differently. Even having two different hi hat stands could make a difference in the "feel" of the...