Recent content by hawksmoor

1. hawksmoor

Intriguingly difficult feels

We’ve come full circle from the OP to Ain’t Nobody by Rufus & Chaka Khan. Though to be fair, I’ve never found JR Robinson’s drum part particularly easy. I can do it, but it took a good while of woodshedding to get the hi-hat openings on the chorus.
  2. hawksmoor

Why no Motown drummers on Drummerworld?

Can’t work out how to post on my phone but look up Earl Van Dyke’s version of Come See About Me. I just want to know if you guys think there’s any tambourine on this track. I can’t quite tell.
  3. hawksmoor

Am I right in remembering that Marvin Gaye's What's Going On album was the first time the musicians were credited?
  4. hawksmoor

Oh, and James Gadson and Bernard Purdie.
  5. hawksmoor

Love all the Motown drummers mentioned. A huge influence on my playing, along with Jabo Starks, Clyde Stubblefield, Al Jackson Jr and Howard Grimes.
  6. hawksmoor

Journey's new drummer is......

Randy Jackson played bass in Narada Michael Walden's band in the 80s.
  7. hawksmoor

What do you hear when it's silent?

Since we've had the lockdown in the UK, I get woken up at the crack of dawn by birdsong, so my hearing can't be that bad. We have a loft extension. I woke up the other day to find a squrirel climbing in through the window like a thief in the night.
  8. hawksmoor

What do you hear when it's silent?

I too have tinnitus. Had it as long as I can remember, before playing the drums even. I've learnt to live it with so I don't even know I have it half the time. Until you guys reminded me!
  9. hawksmoor

Your book collection

Absolutely agree, Hewitt2. Learnt a lot from that book, especially on the drum breaks that have been sampled and really swinging the bass drum. It's a book written with a lot of love for funk/soul/hip-hop. Oh, I forgot Stanton Moore's Groove Alchemy.
  10. hawksmoor

Your book collection

Got no pictures at hand, but off the top of my head, the books I go back to regularly are Zoro's Commandments of R&B Drumming, Daniel Glass' Commandments of Early R&B Drumming, Jim Payne's Advanced Funk Drumming, 100 Famous Funk Beats and Give The Drummers Some (most of the grooves from 100...
  11. hawksmoor

HELP! Issue with foot playing the kick all the sudden

I've posted this interview snippet elsewhere before, this might be helpful: Homer Steinwess of The Dap Kings, Lee Fields, Amy Winehouse and many more is a left-footed right-handed drummer. Here he is talking about it: Amazingly, Steinweiss has been keeping this busy pace for the last year-plus...
  12. hawksmoor

Is not having a bass player in touring bands becoming a thing?

Oh, and noodling in between songs. He's the BEST at that.
  13. hawksmoor

Is not having a bass player in touring bands becoming a thing?

Yeah, mine neither. He IS good at playing the wrong bass lines to the wrong song, though. Oh, and getting really, really drunk at gigs. He's great at that.
  14. hawksmoor

Go easy on the floor toms dudes!

Floor tom? That's where I put the setlist.
  15. hawksmoor

PST7 Hats

Exactly the same for me. Exact same size of Giant Beats too.
Back