Recent content by grparty

1. G

Jazz soloing: Filling, phrasing, voicing, trading 4's 8's, vocabulary.

One exercise is to play melodies to tunes on the drums. Start by adhering strictly to the melody, playing it on the snare drum. Then try orchestrating the melody around the kit. Next, add embellishments and improvise over it. Monk tunes are great for this, but you can use any tune. There’s a...
  2. G

Bob Moses on NOT listening to your bandmates?

Before disagreeing with Bob Moses’s point, I’d recommend reading what he actually wrote. He uses qualifying words and is pretty clear about what kinds of situations he’s referring to. Also, for those who are interested, he has a couple of videos available online called “Living Music”, which are...
  3. G

Bob Moses on NOT listening to your bandmates?

Happy birthday Ra Kalam Bob Moses! Drum Wisdom is one of the best drum books. It’s really awful that it’s out of print. I looked back the book, and pages 6-9 address your question, with specific examples. To me, it seems he’s pretty clear about what he means. In a jazz context, he talks about...
  4. G

What Artist did you worship, but no longer listen too?

I used to listen to Radiohead all the time in the late 90s through 2003’s Hail To The Thief. I almost never listen to them anymore, but still really respect their work, especially Jonny Greenwood’s contributions. His score to There Will Be Blood was great as well.
  5. G

Need help with independence

This seems a bit out there. On the drums, our limbs are (hopefully!) not doing unrelated things. Usually when we're playing music, the rhythms that our limbs play relate to each other and they relate to a pulse.
  6. G

Favorite Drummers

The first few that come to mind... Jack Dejohnette Elvin Jones Jim Black Jeff Tain Watts Zigaboo Billy Hart Stewart Copeland Matt Chamberlain Bill Stewart Jorge Rossy Questlove
  7. G

Anyone use 2bs or other big sticks for jazz or otherwise quiet music?

I think I remember checking out a video of Ian Froman where he mentions that he uses a 5B stick.
  8. G

Grams per inch

I’m not sure if you’re trolling at this point, especially after insisting weight is irrelevant. This method will not work for finding cymbals of similar weight. You can read the cymbal weight guide linked to above in ToddBishop’s post, or my previous posts. To find cymbals of proportional...
  9. G

Grams per inch

I agree w/using your ears, but that method of finding proportional weight will not work. The point of my previous posts was that dividing weight by diameter will not give you a usefu ratio. To find the same proportional weight, you should find the weight per square inch of one cymbal, then...
  10. G

Grams per inch

You could make a similar argument about the usefulness of knowing the diameter of a cymbal. However, size and weight are some of the few quantifiable attributes cymbals get labeled with, so I don’t think it’s meaningless to talk about them. Anyways, I agree with you that the important thing is...
  11. G

Grams per inch

Grams per square inch is a more meaningful ratio comparable across cymbals of different sizes. To get this number, divide a cymbal’s weight in grams by its area in square inches (rather than dividing by the cymbal’s diameter). Area = 3.14 x (1/2 Diameter) squared.
  12. G

Movies/TV shows with bad drumming scenes

I've been watching the Netflix show, PEN15, and one of the main characters takes an improvised timpani solo that would be great to see during a middle-school band concert - There were a couple of other details that were curious, like that the character's dad was often out of town touring with...
  13. G

Steve Smith: Practice on a splash cymbal for touch

I thought OP was referring to this Until I watched this interview
  14. G

Good metronome software

I also highly recommend the Time Guru app. It has a unique and simple interface that is intuitive to use - you can set up all kinds of click patterns (like 4 beats w/click followed by 4 beats rest) in a few seconds.
  15. G

20” kicks anyone?

The last set I bought were some Sonor Hilites with a 20” bass drum. It sounds amazing and the bass drum sounds great with any tuning, from high to low/extremely loose