Recent content by Fritz Frigursson

1. Fritz Frigursson

Hierarchy at various manufacturers?

what are “pro” kits, let’s get an objective definition. stage customs last a lot and are mega durable, is that a pro kit? mapex armory has pretty nice finishes, is that a pro kit too?
  2. Fritz Frigursson

Mapex probably Saturn V, DW probably Performance and Pearl is very difficult to say since they have like 5 kits in this price range
  3. Fritz Frigursson

there also used to be the club customs and birch custom absolutes, WHY did they get discontinued… such good lines. i want to say that things went downhill after the japanese factory stopped making 90% of the kits, but then i’d be called a japanese manufacturing fanboy so i’m not going to indulge...
  4. Fritz Frigursson

salesman- “this one is good. this other one is nice too.” customer- “what’s the difference between the two?” salesman- “i’d like you to leave now.”
  5. Fritz Frigursson

i think there is not much difference between mid range and top end now. like how many noticeable differences are there between a starclassic W/B and a star walnut? sure there are changes in the finish, but sound and hardware wise they’re not very far from each other. except the 2000 dollar gap...
  6. Fritz Frigursson

Nate Smith is Amazing

that whole album is great
  7. Fritz Frigursson

Suspension Options for "Studio" Kit?

yeah pretty sure. they're not cymbals that wobble like crazy when hit by anything... and i don't think a 2B stick is as strong as a person trying to bend a hoop
  8. Fritz Frigursson

Nate Smith is Amazing

2 albums with kick/snare/hat, last album with a custom made concert tom kit. quite the leap
  9. Fritz Frigursson

DW performance. pearl masters reserve/reference(?), yamaha tour custom and sonor SQ1 is what i think. yamaha has like 4 top end lines and 1 kit in the 1000/2000 range so it’s quite a wide gap
  10. Fritz Frigursson

i think we should stop with this “pro level kit” name, since NOBODY knows what makes a kit “pro level” or “semi pro grade”. like what apple does with their product lineup, macbook “pro” doesn’t mean anything. i also think that pearl has one of the most difficult lineup yet, there are like 20...
  11. Fritz Frigursson

that really depends on hoop thickness, since you can bend 1.6mms easily with your hands but from 2.3 onwards it’s quite hard. i doubt a drum can bend a 2.3 TF hoop with its own weight
  12. Fritz Frigursson

there’s also tama starcast, but that requires their proprietary die cast hoops
  13. Fritz Frigursson

ah crap, even though putting legs on it is a much better choice both sonically and logistically, but it’s your drum so your choice. optimount or rims style mount seem like your best bets. hell you could even use one atlas mount and use an L rod on your rack
  14. Fritz Frigursson

ah almost forgot, if you buy 3 ludwig atlas tom mounts, they replace your current drum lugs and have a floor tom bracket integrated in it so you can put legs without drilling holes in the shell, that’s how some ludwigs have (classic maples and the likes)
  15. Fritz Frigursson

well i guess optimount would work the best if you were to hang the drum from the rack, otherwise i’d try to float the rims/floor tom legs idea