Recent content by FreDrummer

1. FreDrummer

Would you re-cut bearing edges...

...on a 1976 Vistalite kit? I picked up this 22, 12, 13, 16, and a 14x5 snare last year. They are in really good shape, especially after I polished them up to remove small scratches. They had a total of three small cracks -- all originated at lug holes and were short enough to stay hidden...
  2. FreDrummer

1965 Slingerland Snare

Finally, I can start one of those, "Look at the great deal I got" threads... Because it was FREE! A friend of mine (a non-drummer) has been telling me for over a year now he had an old snare drum his parents had left him. It had been in his garage the last 20 years. I remember him telling me...
  3. FreDrummer

Buttkicker? Backrest? Weight Savings Be Damned!!!

There's so many threads about saving weight in the hardware bag, fewer trips to the car at gigs etc. I get it, and I've slimmed down parts of my rig to do so. But in the last two weeks, I made a change that went the other direction... I don't get to sit at the drums and practice that much, so...
  4. FreDrummer

Can changing snare heads make THIS big a difference?

Last fall, I found a set of 1976 Vistalites that has become my primary gig kit. A few weeks after buying the shellpack, I found the matching 14x5 snare to go with it, so it has become my primary gig snare. I immediately swapped out the reso head with an Evans 300 snareside head, but left the...
  5. FreDrummer

1970's Ludwig Vistalites

Here's another "is this a good deal?" question. Clear Ludwig Vistalites: 12,13,16,22. Shellpack only, no snare. Ludwig 70's Clear Vistalite $700 The kicker is, this guy lives less than a mile from me (and it's a pretty nice neighborhood, too). I've checked the ebay "sold" listings, but...
  6. FreDrummer

Module upgrade?

I've had edrums for over 15 years (going all the way back to a TD-5 kit!). I presently use a TD-10exp with a DIY A-E conversion that looks and triggers great. I gig with acoustic drums in larger venues but use my electronics in smaller venues. When gigging my electronic drums, I use all acoustic...
  7. FreDrummer

Another Ludwig ID thread...

I have this Ludwig bass drum I bought on ebay about 7 years ago. At the time, I was playing electronic drums exclusively and looking for inexpensive shells for an A-E conversion. This drum fit the bill, as the original lacquer finish was completely dried out and peeling, and coming off half...
  8. FreDrummer

As if THAT ever happens...

Our band played a gig last night. It was at bar up the highway from the city we live in, but it's a well-established watering-hole that occasionally has nationally known acts play there as they're passing through. The gig went great! The crowd was great, the staff was great -- I think...
  9. FreDrummer

Amazon drum head pricing...

As an avid Amazon Prime junkie, I have to say, their pricing on drumheads can be fickle, to say the least (downright "weird" might be a better description). I realize that, in today's internet retail environment, prices can change hourly, or maybe even by the minute. I wonder if I, as a loyal...
  10. FreDrummer

For all you Evans Power Center Reverse Dot lovers...

I know a lot of drummers like this head for their snares. As part of their Fourth of July Blowout deals, MF is selling the 14" Evans Power Center Reverse Dot Coated heads for $5.00 each (through July 7): Evans Power Center Reverse Dot 14" Coated Head I ordered a handful just to stock up...
  11. FreDrummer

Roland Module as Monitor

My apologies in advance that this may get wordy: I have both acoustic and e-drums (Roland TD-10exp with real drum shell triggers). I recently joined a cover band that is almost ready to "go live" and gig out. I will primarily use my acoustic drums, but if we are ever faced with a very small...