Recent content by FoolInTheRain

1. FoolInTheRain

20" bass beater placement?

Tomorrow I'm going to be setting up my new MCX kit with 20" bass drum. This is the first time I've ever used a 20" bass. I've already got the heads I'm going to put on. But one thing I'm unsure about is where on the head to have the beater hit. I've always used 22" bass drums and I've always had...
  2. FoolInTheRain

When do you feel the most expressive?

What is it that makes you feel the most expressive when you're behind the kit? Just curious what you guys have to say. Is it playing a particular kit? Playing a certain genre of music? Using a specific technique? A particular day of the week? Again, this isn't really about when you're feeling...
  3. FoolInTheRain

Middle finger fulcrum videos?

So I've been interested in the middle finger fulcrum that I've been hearing so much about lately. I know quite a few drummers use it. And I think I might be using it as well when I observe what my strong hand does. But when I try to YouTube any videos demonstrating the use of it and how it...
  4. FoolInTheRain

Are we sometimes our best teachers?

Not trying to get too out there with this, but today when I was practicing a thought popped into my mind...."Am I the best teacher I could have?" I've spent so much time obsessing over technique lately as a few might have noticed. I want to get better, more efficient. Grip, fulcrum point...
  5. FoolInTheRain

Something to keep time on, that isn't a cowbell

Wasn't sure if this fell more under "gear" or "technique" because it kinda has to deal with both, actually. So I put it here, but mods please move to proper forum if this isn't the place. So in my quest to improve my weak hand coordination in both matched and traditional grip, I want something...
  6. FoolInTheRain

Trad or matched? completely torn here

Between whether to proceed with developing my matched or traditional grip. Yeah, I know, it's a subject that's been beaten to death. And before anybody says "well, just learn both"...hear me out. I've stated a few times here that I've gotten back into drumming after a long hiatus. Before my...
  7. FoolInTheRain

My new Pearl Masters MCX kit

Hey guys. Kinda new here. Finally got around to getting a good pic of my new Masters MCX kit in Mocha Tamo fade. 18x22 8x10 9x12 16x16 5x14 Brass Sensitone 14" K hats 17" A Custom Crash 19" A Custom Crash 20" A Custom Projection Ride 18" Oriental China Trash 6" A Custom splash Really like...
  8. FoolInTheRain

Need some P.A. advice, mostly for play-along.

So I want to get a PA system to set up in my drum room, that I plug my iPod, iPhone, etc. into and play along to my favorite songs. At some point I'd also like to be able to mic my kit to run through the mixer as well. I'm not really brand-loyal when it comes to this so I'm open to all...