Recent content by EhhSoCheap

1. EhhSoCheap

The Unwavering Drummer

Toto- Africa From memory, the few drum fills are over top the steady beat. Speaking of NWA, Ice Cube’s Today Was a Good Day is a looped sample of Isley Brothers - Footsteps in the Dark. That’s a great beat. We Will Rock You Bill Withers - Use Me Some variation, but a decent example Led Zeppelin-...
  2. EhhSoCheap

Show me your "unmatched" hi-hats.

*drags strawman out of storage for it’s weekly beating*
  3. EhhSoCheap

Zildjian S Family

I read on this here forum that Buddy Rich’s favorite ride was a Zildjian B8.
  4. EhhSoCheap

Another dumb question: What makes a "great" ride cymbal?

It’s not a big deal in the grand scheme and not scandalous that he would use a B8 cymbal, but it’s one of those fun facts that gets extra funny when you think about it. The Zildjian ZBTs and other B8 iterations came out well after Buddy passed, except for the short-lived Impulse line that was...
  5. EhhSoCheap

[Citation needed]
  6. EhhSoCheap

Two important variables in ride selection seem to be taste and practicality. While I’m generally irked by how we discuss taste around here, I think it’s important unpack what is meant by practicality, which is especially useful for less experienced players like myself. This video from the 80/20...
  7. EhhSoCheap

sold a mess of stuff

Drum Center of Portsmouth has had this deal for a while: https://www.drumcenternh.com/zildjian-a-sweet-set-cymbal-pack-dcp-exclusive
  8. EhhSoCheap

How much of a discount do you need...?

I guess I think about deals in absolute price. I’m pretty much only buying cymbals at this point, so anything around $200 or less and I’ll consider pulling the trigger. I really enjoy looking for deals and researching the different and discontinued lines over the years.
  9. EhhSoCheap

Advice for a Lefty Who Wants to Introduce Their Kid to Drumming

Lots of good input so far. I’m a lefty, but have a drum kit set up “right-handed” for my child. Here’s some commentary on handedness and drumming that’s worth a read: http://www.cruiseshipdrummer.com/2016/04/handedness-is-dubious.html?m=1
  10. EhhSoCheap

Is there a way to verify the model of a Zildjian cymbal?

From the second picture, the stamp faintly looks like a K Zildjian. I agree with ineedaclutch, it does not appear to be a Custom Dark — the lack of lathing gives it away. The serial number at the bottom of the stamp will tell you the year. Without the ink logos, the weight will give you a...
  11. EhhSoCheap

Why does everyone make fun of Lars?

Lars has become a meme!
  12. EhhSoCheap

Why does everyone make fun of Lars?

Metallica had more crossover success than any other thrash metal band (any metal band ever?) which opens all of the members up to more criticism than their peers. Lars also has specific licks that resurface again and again throughout his career and I think musicians pick on him for that.
  13. EhhSoCheap

Grams per inch

Are you being serious?
  14. EhhSoCheap

Grams per inch

I appreciate you (and anyone else in this forum, for that matter) responding, but you’re missing my point. You’re basically restating what I’ve said already. What I was and am responding to was this: I disagree. Given a 20” cymbal, if you only knew either the alloy, hammering, finish or...
  15. EhhSoCheap

Grams per inch

I suppose it’s disappointing in a way. I find this topic interesting and would like to go a little further with the discussion. Obviously, there’s no requirement to respond or contribute in any other way than you’d like, but I think you can do better than that.