Recent content by Duck Tape

1. Duck Tape

Negative effects of positive feedback.

It's really weird but when I first started playing gigs people would come up to me and compliment me all the time. I think I was playing okay but in hindsight there may have been a degree of encouragement in their compliments, like "you're almost there buddy, keep up the good work!" Then I...
  2. Duck Tape

Making Some Progress

Rock and Roll is a tough song! That intro confuses most drummers and the double handed (unisons) on the snare and hats are very fast. Attempting songs that may be a little too difficult can teach you what your weaknesses are, so it's never a waste of your time. Maybe try a 6/8 tune like "since...
  3. Duck Tape

A solo

Good to see some familiar faces are still around, thanks fellas :D
  4. Duck Tape

A solo

Been a while, I miss checking out all the cool players in here so I'm gonna share the last thing I recorded - a little solo on my sakae kit The snare is a mapex nomad and I cranked it up ala Two Princes style
  5. Duck Tape

12" snare volume is enough?

I think Loveshack was recorded with a 12x7 Brady jarrah block snare, it’s definitely going to be loud enough if you go for the right construction. I took a 12” mapex phantom snare to a rock gig once, at the end of the night I noticed how much it chewed my sticks. Either I was hitting harder to...
  6. Duck Tape

Help purchasing Mapex Saturn V MH Exotic

I have 2 Saturn kits and some add on drums mostly in studioease sizes but I’d be keen to try the fast set. Reasons for this: I recently bought a sakae kit with the same Tom sizes and the 10x7 and 12x8 are so nice and easy to setup over the kick and speak very clearly, it’s a refreshing change...
  7. Duck Tape

Hardest “simple” things to play on drums

I don’t know if you’d call it a disco fill but playing the snare on 3 +a like in this somg
  8. Duck Tape

Pearl or Mapex

I have put together and tuned a pearl export at a shop I used to teach at... I just couldn't get the floor tom to tune up with the stock heads, I felt like maybe that drum wasn't perfectly in round or the bearing edge was dodgy, or perhaps it was the head? It was otherwise ok, the snare was...
  9. Duck Tape

Using metronome smarter way to develop time

I just started mucking around with this too. To start off I just set a timer and do 5 minutes at 70 bpm of each (1, e, + and a). Haven't tried triplets yet. I'm hoping it will clean up all my timing in between the quarter note clicks, as I think I am confident at hitting those quarter notes...
  10. Duck Tape

Great grooves to work on

Medicine by 2 ton shoe.
  11. Duck Tape

And just like that, you hate your current gear...

No, but I kinda wish I did. I’ve got a room full of kits, snares and cymbals I haven’t touched in years, I feel a bit guilty having this hoard of stuff. It’s just not worth selling any of it as I know I’ll lose too much $$$ on much of it, and if I free up space I’ll probably be more likely to...
  12. Duck Tape

Revisiting the music you played with in your formative years?

Bit of a rant/ramble ahead, as per title, when I started out, the only way I knew how to learn how to play drums was playing along to records. I've progressed from there and learned to practice using systems/metronomes but I still like to play along with music and I feel like I've gone a bit...
  13. Duck Tape

20x20 bass drum?

Personally I like them, the only thing that would turn me off is if I had to transport it to gigs all the time, then it would be a space/weight issue, but if it's just for home I find they have a lot of depth and power that shallower kicks don't have.
  14. Duck Tape

What's your latest purchase?

Hey guys, long time no speak. This year I got a Sakae Almighty Birch in 10, 12, 14, 16, 22 sizes. It's mostly the same as the old japanese recording custom.
  15. Duck Tape

Did Russia hack drummerworld?

That's twice I've seen the site down... Cyber attack?