Recent content by drummersweeklygroovecast

1. drummersweeklygroovecast

Two-Minute Drum Lessons

Thank you Yammy! Please let me know if you have topic suggestions for future videos. Phil
  2. drummersweeklygroovecast

Two-Minute Drum Lessons

Thanks Nunez! I hope your students find them useful. Best, Phil
  3. drummersweeklygroovecast

Two-Minute Drum Lessons

Thank you very much! Yes, the primary reasons for the clutch video and the seat height/positioning video are from the college students that I've been teaching for the past few years. Every school's drum set(s) has mind-boggling configuration issues. Virtually every clutch is...
  4. drummersweeklygroovecast

Two-Minute Drum Lessons

Hey Icetech, Thank you very much and I appreciate your support. That ride is a 22" Bettis Nomad. I got it from Matt Bettis about 5 years ago and it just keeps getting better. It's a wonderful cymbal and makes appearances in several other two-minute lessons. Please let me know if you have any...
  5. drummersweeklygroovecast

Two-Minute Drum Lessons

Thanks Spreggy! I appreciate the advice regarding the 'doofy face.' Message heeded! Please let me know if you have suggestions for new topics. Phil
  6. drummersweeklygroovecast

Two-Minute Drum Lessons

Please join me in my latest educational endeavor, "Two-Minute Drum Lessons" (when three minutes are too much).:D https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdUQZKVD1nOnkN7w8OODMhQufsDm5ra71 Most drumming instructional videos are too long regardless of the validity of their content. Many times, the...
  7. drummersweeklygroovecast

Wilcoxon solos

Great job Larry! Also, how do you like the Superpad when compared to other pads (Real Feel, Pro Logix, etc.)?
  8. drummersweeklygroovecast

Wilcoxon solos

Hey Larry, Great sounding solo and congrats on getting back to work. The dedication to work on these solos even when you have all the time in the world is a feat, much less when you work full-time! I've published 10 solos (some Wilcoxon, some Delecluse) over the past couple of days. You can...
  9. drummersweeklygroovecast

Kenny Washington best albums

I'm with the above folks in saying that I don't believe Kenny has done a recording as a leader. I also agree the Mel Rhyne ("Stick to the Kick " is good), and Charlap dates are smoking. However, his body of work as a sideman speaks for itself. I'd go with 'Jazz Poet' by Tommy Flanagan as one...
  10. drummersweeklygroovecast

Wilcoxon solos

I have no idea why planoranger decided to go on the attack, other than to show he has more knowledge than I. That being said, you straw man almost every argument you pose and subsequently put words into my mouth. Your initial comment of "hate to burst your bubble" is condescending and...
  11. drummersweeklygroovecast

Wilcoxon solos

Hi 8Mile, Allow me to jump in for a second. When it comes to the topic of the swing feel desired for the Wilcoxon solos, I believe everyone is taking that too literally. The solos already have swing built into them. You don't need to force these to have a triplet feel (unless notated that...
  12. drummersweeklygroovecast

Wilcoxon No.114 WTF?!?

First, the videos and explanations from Rick Dior are VERY good. His introductory video explaining the approach to the Wilcoxon method is fantastic. There may indeed by a few typos because, like he said, it still happens in modern methods printed today. That being said, there is another...
  13. drummersweeklygroovecast

The Charley Wilcoxon Challenge

Thanks for the shout out 8 mile! Much appreciated. Wilcoxon is a must study. I love it that forums like this are helping to keep these classic, definitive books alive. Since getting back into the college teaching game I'm astounded at how many students AND professors are not familiar with...
  14. drummersweeklygroovecast

Chris Fryar of Zac Brown Band interview

Hi Folks, It's been a little while since we last posted but I wanted to share our podcast with the drummer from the Zac Brown Band, Chris Fryar. https://soundcloud.com/phil-smith-592966725/episode-90-interview-chris-fryar-of-the-zac-brown-band Also, on the first and third Thursdays of each...
  15. drummersweeklygroovecast

New stuff for 2018

Hi there Drummerworld, I wanted to let everyone know that there have been a few new features added to the Drummer's Weekly Groovecast for 2018. First, we've published our web site. Shockingly enough it can be found at: www.drummersweeklygroovecast.com You can access all of our shows, videos...