Recent content by DrummerCA35

1. D

Has "playing for the song" changed?

Great point. Well, the audience (including me!) was pumped for sure.
  2. D

All good points..and flare...yes!
  3. D

I saw a fabulous cover band the other day. It was an 80's cover band, and one of the top ones in the area, with plenty of great gigs at clubs/festivals/corporates/etc. Top sound, showmanship, setlist, and the musicians were incredible. The drummer was constantly throwing in all kinds of...
  4. D

Wanting a new Kit - older sizes - Ludwig Quick Pick?

I'm just used to the 10/12 rack tom thing...been doing it since the 90's. As a kid I had a 12/13/16 tom setup. I like the idea of a 14" floor tom as it's a been more compact, but, my current setup is 10/12/16. A loud snare would be good...that would give me headroom...can always muffle it...
  5. D

Nice! What finish are you getting? What made you pick 16" deep versus 18 or 14 for your bass drum? Good point...you'd want to reach your tom. What a drag that would be if you couldn't.
  6. D

Thank you. That blueish sparkle set at the top is just gorgeous! :)
  7. D

My next kit may be my last. I've been playing a 5-piece DW performance "standard" kit in this configuration: Bass drum: 22" x 18" Toms: 10" x 8", 12" x 9" Floor tom: 16" x 14" I am really fantasizing about a kit of my youth the band room in 80's - a sliver sparkle Ludwig. My dream kit...
  8. D

Deleted

Ludwig classic maple silver sparkle. Toms 10/12/14 traditional depths. And rack toms mounted on the bass drum. 22” kick, probably 14” in depth if it’s low sounding enough. 5x14 supraphonic snare.
  9. D

Neighbor noise complaints

This is an nonissue for me. I have a set of Roland V drums. In fact, I’ve had a set since of Rolands since 1995. Nobody is bothered by my practicing, with the exception of the time I lived in an apartment and the downstairs neighbor could hear the tapping. Since buying a house decades ago my...
  10. D

Is there something going on w Modern Drummer? Subscription Issues

I was a teenager in the 80's. I remember looking forward to each new issue of MD. The articles, the ads for the equipment, the reviews. I liked Rick Van Horn's articles, Roy Burns, and so on. And the interviews...all of it. I'd hoard my MDs in boxes, and read old ones. And somewhere along...
  11. D

Drumming following leg amputation

I am a right below knee amputee. I lost my leg, and my daughter (the love of my life) to a drunk driver in May 2009. I learned to play with a prosthetic foot/leg. I developed my own approach. I incorporate a double pedal. I can play the bass drum with my left foot, or my right prosthetic foot...
  12. D

What is your kit color - (edit..I apologize for excluding some colors and other potential finishes)

I am really partial to sparkle finishes, in particular silver sparkle. This is my kit. It’s titanium sparkle.
  13. D

Roland TD20 brain display no longer works.

Thank you! I appreciate some voice of reason here. I looked on YouTube and there is a video that explains how to do it… and you are right… What do I have to lose?
  14. D

Roland TD20 brain display no longer works.

Any ideas appreciated. I have a TD20 V drum kit with the expansion board. I got it quite a long time ago… maybe around 2008 or 2009. I use it for practicing and gig on my acoustics. I love the Rolands. I know that there are newer models that have come out over the years but I really haven’t been...
  15. D

20" Paiste Sound Formula Reflector Dry Ride - Now Considering SF hats

So bought a 20" Paiste Sound Formula Reflector Dry Ride off of EBAY. Played it for the first time at a gig. Wow, what a gorgeous, beautiful sounding cymbal. Love the ride sound, and the bell was a pleasure to play on. This is to go with my 2002 16/18 crashes. I've been playing Zildjian New...
Back