Recent content by drumkat

1. drumkat

Oz Comic-Con starts tomorrow in Perth!!

I was looking for some weekend activities to do with the kids on-line Low and behold, there is a sci fi convention happening this Sat and Sun Its gonna be full of the latest video games, comics, novels, toys and collectibles There is also gonna be some big sci fi stars Amanda Tapping from...
  2. drumkat

Waiting for new Star Wars movies

Well, only about a year to go Star Wars will be back on our big screens Let's hope its better than I, II and III Well, I guess they weren't all that bad, but in comparison to the original trilogy, no comparison. Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait Always have been and always will be a HUGE...
  3. drumkat

Missing Malaysian Airline

I hope no member on DW has loved ones or relatives on that flight My condolences to anyone who may be going through what must be hell to get any information Let us hope that there can be closure to this situation quickly Technology has come leaps and bounds in regards to air safety and...
  4. drumkat

Lead singer has asked me out for a date

Well....whaddya know! I have found a pic This is the closest I could find But seriously guys, I will post a pic of her if she is willing. I will call her
  5. drumkat

Lead singer has asked me out for a date

Well, it has happened The greatest taboo in a band The lead singer has asked me out on a date She text me a the other day and said she really likes me and wants to go out with me I NEVER mix business with pleasure She is R-E-A-L-L-Y attractive but........
  6. drumkat

John Bonham 1970 Royal Albert Hall Moby Dick

I just bought a copy of Led Zeppelin's rare video footage entitled simply as "DVD" On it was a performance by Bonham playing Moby Dick He was ONLY 21 yrs old at the time I am just.....just speechless It was re mastered in DTS 5.1 and his bass was CAVERNOUS through my sub woofer There was 2...
  7. drumkat

defying conventional drum set up for unique sound

Hello there guys. I was hoping to start a discussion on different approaches to conventional drum set set ups to get that unique sound For example, I can remember using my 10" splash as a bottom hat and my 8" splash as the top hat for a song once. The sound was fantastic, kind of...
  8. drumkat

Drummers of the American Revolution and beyond

We pay homage to our great drummers...Colaiuta, Weckl, Drumkat, Gadd But they learnt from Gruber, Moeller, Spivak In turn, those 3 gentlemen seem to have adopted the techniques used by the drummer boys of The American Revolution and The American Civil War Just look at the cover of Stick...
  9. drumkat

Aussies actually won medals at the Winter Olympics!!

We come from a scorching, searing sunburnt country Yet, our Aussies STILL managed to bag a silver and 2 bronze medals! Good on ya guys.... well actually, parts of the East Coast are snowy and freezing like the dickens but ahh, what the hey Over here in the West, I think a single snowflake...
  10. drumkat

Curling at Winter Olympics

Curling is fascinating to watch.... I don't have a clue on the rules Man, the players get right into it....they scream so loudly at each other!! Seems like a very intellectual game! Appears to be an exact science
  11. drumkat

Started smoking again!!!

After a year of not smoking....alas I have returned to the habit! I feel dreadful emotionally... I tried so hard but oh well, maybe I will try again another time But after a year without a single cigarette I did NOT feel better or healthier Some smokes are really cheap so I didnt notice the...
  12. drumkat

DRUMKAT in the flesh

I had only played drums for about 3 yrs when this was done I was a very late starter It was my first band http://youtu.be/rDjAryjxiK0 Enjoy
  13. drumkat

Ron Spagnardi

The man has left a huge legacy with Modern Drummer.... I am currently working out of PARADIDDLE POWER.... Geez that book makes you cook on the HiHat.... I am battlin' to do the exercises with the 'nome at 60 bpm!!! I can remember sending him an email after I heard about the death of Carlos...
  14. drumkat

Going back to old stuff

I have owned my Premier Genista for 16 yrs Its my baby Its fusion size shells are powerful, cutting and the 20" bass drum is so punchy and versatile But recently, I have wanted to get a real ol' knock around set Like a late 80s or early 90s Pearl export with the long lugs Or a 90s Yamaha...
  15. drumkat

At what point do you speed up exercises?

Hello to you all. I will post this quickly before patients begin pouring in from the Emergency Department. At what point in learning a particular exercise would you begin to speed it up? For example, I start an exercise at 60bpm, that is my base/lowest speed and repeat it upteen times over...