Recent content by drumhedd

1. drumhedd

New (to me) Ludwig Classic Maple

One of the Sam Ash reverb stores actually has a FAB config in stock in the same finish for a pretty great price too: https://reverb.com/item/39828121-ludwig-3-piece-classic-maple-fab-22-drum-kit
  2. drumhedd

Ludwig Rocker?

This is an entry/midlevel 6.5x14" 4-ply chrome over wood snare, made in Ludwig's Monroe NC factory in the '80s - '90s. From 1982 - 1984, this model was called L-601 and part the S/L series, was then changed to LR-751 when the series renamed to Rocker/Rocker II in late 1984. If the inside of...
  3. drumhedd

show off your snare

I keep mine in soft cases, usually with a packet or two of silica gel thrown in to minimize moisture and help prevent pitting. I don't have a regular practice space at the moment, so being able to pick up a drum and get to a rehearsal or session is really all I need.
  4. drumhedd

Ludwig Black Beauty throwoff alternative?

Personally though, I'd recommend replacing the P-85 with the new P-88AC: it's truly the best, sturdiest, and easiest to use throwoff Ludwig had ever made.
  5. drumhedd

Ludwig Black Beauty throwoff alternative?

The P-86 Millennium has the same hole spacing as the P-85, so you should be good to replace without drilling any holes.
  6. drumhedd

show off your snare

Couple new additions to the fam... two mid-late '80s Ludwig L-552K Hammered Bronze 6.5x14" snares! The bottom one has the earlier, slightly smaller hammer marks and has the Twin Channel Die-Cast batter hoop option. It's is in pretty rough shape with lots of tarnishing, corrosion, and a broken...
  7. drumhedd

Heads for Ludwig Supraphonic

+1 on the Remo Controlled Sound, or Emperor X (which is basically a 2-ply Controlled Sound). All the sensitivity of a coated Remo head, with more focus and less overtones especially on rimshots.
  8. drumhedd

Drummers who have changed brand affiliation the most??

That's the first I've heard of any of Nicko's kits being having Asian-made shells, and the first I've heard of them recycling kits with new wraps. Nicko's always said he left Premier because they stopped British product and he wanted a British-made kit, so I doubt he would have settled for an...
  9. drumhedd

Fair, but I think it's worth calling out given the topic/title of this thread :p
  10. drumhedd

I don't know anything concrete but I think some of it had to do with Nicko wanting to start designing and releasing signature products with Sonor, and Sonor not really being interested. Nearly the first thing after he joined BDC, he's already got two signature snare drums out. Plus Keith...
  11. drumhedd

Nicko was with Sonor for around 15 years, and then Premier for over 20... yes, he switched back to Sonor for 2.5 years and then went to BDC, but given his whole history I'd hardly call put him amongst drummers who change brands "the most". Also worth noting he's been with Paiste for like 40 years...
  12. drumhedd

Gear you wished existed...

I'd just love to see more size variation across the board in midlevel lines. Back in the early 2000s, you could get Exports, Sessions, Stage Customs, Force 3003s, Accent CS Custom Elite, etc. in a multitude of diameters/depths and build a truly custom setup. Now everything is either prepackaged...
  13. drumhedd

Decent Used Drums for around $600-$800

Personally, I'd go cheaper on the snare and get an '80s or '90s Ludwig Acrolite. They're cheaper than the '60s-'70s versions, and are just fantastic sounding and versatile drums. You can usually pick them up for under $200. That leaves you more cash to spend on cymbals and the kick, which are...
  14. drumhedd

Decent Used Drums for around $600-$800

If you're really looking for just a kick, snare, hats, and a crash/ride, the most bang for your buck will be piecing things together from places like Reverb and craigslist. For $600-800 you could easily pick up solid, pro-level used/vintage pieces. What brands you choose is really down to...
  15. drumhedd

Gear you wished existed...

I'd love to see a few things from Ludwig... TRUE Bonzo replica kits - i.e. a thermogloss Legacy Maple with a 15x26" kick, and a Green Sparkle Legacy Maple with a 6-lug 10x14" rack tom, both with period-correct repro hardware. I'd also like new metal snares with 1.6mm hoops and larger shell...