Recent content by DrumDoug

1. DrumDoug

"Don't Stop Believin" What Did You Play?

You could simplify by playing quarter notes on the bell of the ride, 2 on the snare, &of3 on rack tom, &of4 on floor tom. In the meantime, work on the original part, Stephens Drum Shed does a good tutorial as well. The skills you learn playing the song the correct way will translate over into...
  2. DrumDoug

Mackie mixers- reliability?

My church used to have a Mackie TT24. The motherboard failed twice and the internal power supply failed. Mackie stopped supporting it doing warranty repairs, and we ended up getting a Midas M32. No problems with that one. I don’t know it that speaks to Mackie quality overall or if we just got a...
  3. DrumDoug

Popular songs not in 4/4

A lot a young drummers really have a hard time playing shuffles. The youth worship team at my church couldn’t play Amazing Grace in the original 3/4. They had to play the Chris Tomlin version in 4/4. This video did a breakdown of the top 40 songs since 2000 and only 3% were not in 4/4. Most of...
  4. DrumDoug

Vic Firth Discontinuing Quite A Few Models (mostly "Signatures")!

Artists can still get their signature sticks even if they are not in the catalog. Rick Dior had a signature stick but he has to order 1000 pair at a time. He resells them on his web site as well as use them. It would take me a while to go through 1000 pair. I suppose it would be worth it to guys...
  5. DrumDoug

to mic or not mic, that is the ?.

I rehearsed in a guys garage where he put mesh heads and Roland drum triggers on a kit. It worked ok if I played slow and simple, but faster patterns would fail to trigger all the notes. Maybe better triggers and a better module would have fixed that, but it was not a gig worthy set up. I also...
  6. DrumDoug

Backing tracks

I don’t like this trend either, but it’s either adapt or get left behind. If your an older musician who doesn’t have that many years left of your playing career, maybe you can take a hard stand against backing tracks, but if your younger and plan on playing for years to come, you have no option...
  7. DrumDoug

Ludwig Classic Oak

I have a Keystone X kit. 24/13/16. I love the bass drum but have never liked the toms. They are deep sounding, but don’t have any resonance. Some people might call them thuddy, but I just think they are dead. I have been wanting to get rid of it for a while, but I just hate the selling process.
  8. DrumDoug

Tripod base for Tama MTH600

My Yamaha 700s are from the early 90s. I wasn’t aware the sizing had changed. As far as the OP’s problem, a used double tom stand might be easier and not much more expensive than trying to find something to cobble together.
  9. DrumDoug

Tripod base for Tama MTH600

Yamaha bottom sections are not 1” They are 7/8”. My Mapex 1” bass drum mount will not fit in my Yamaha 700 bases.
  10. DrumDoug

Zildjian is "Bringing Back" something on April 9, 2024

So that the tempo would stay consistent as they started and stopped, changing camera angles and other such video concerns.
  11. DrumDoug

Any recommendations for single channel headphone amps?

When I mow the yard, I use my apple AirPods, and then put isolation muffs over them. It would work for wired in ear pods as well. I used to do that as well before I got the Bluetooth pods.
  12. DrumDoug

Quiet gigs but with a good feel - which 'stick'?

Here’s a hot take: Try a really heavy stick. Rick Dior did a video where he talked about using really heavy sticks to play soft passages in classical music. I’ve found that if feels better to play softer with a heavy stick. You sort of get the feel without hitting hard. It works on the drums and...
  13. DrumDoug

Click Tracks survey

I prefer a click with no accents. That way I don’t have to wait for a measure to come around to count off the song. 90bpm and faster, I prefer quarter notes. 89bpm and slower, 8th notes. Around 60bpm, 16th notes. I like a low pitched woodblock sound.
  14. DrumDoug

How do you move your hardware (to gigs)?

My “regular” hardware is in a Gibraltar medium hardware bag that I have permanently strapped to a lightweight hand truck. I’m on my second bag and second hand truck but I’ve been using this for over 20 years. I don’t have to completely break down the hardware, but I do have to lower two cymbal...
  15. DrumDoug

Would you cancel your sub?

If there has been several weeks notice, I might have canceled the sub, but it was only two days notice because of weather. This guy subs for me every once in a while and doesn’t have a regular gig. I would feel bad cancelling on him. It’s local, so I plan on going by the end of the night and...
Back