Recent content by Drifter in the Dark

1. Drifter in the Dark

Tried cleaning/polishing some cymbals: REALLY disappointing

Groove Juice works well for me. At this point I refuse to use any "home remedies" (Bar Keeper's Friend, etc.) to clean my cymbals.
  2. Drifter in the Dark

Flat Base Hardware Opinions

As far as vintage looks are concerned, I think the Tama Classic series stands take the cake. They are very much inspired by the old Ludwig stands, right down to the shape of the wing nuts, the Speed King/Spur-Lok style footboards on the pedals, and the oversized rubber claws on the snare drum...
  3. Drifter in the Dark

Flat Base Hardware Opinions

I've used the Gibraltar flat-base stands (1 boom, 1 straight) for a few years now, and I love them! They can support larger 20 and 22-inch ride cymbals with ease. I've never had an issue with one tipping over, even with the boom arm extended 3 or 4 inches. As far as the drum-key bolts for the...
  4. Drifter in the Dark

Sharp Edges on Zildjian Hi-Hats

The customer service rep from Zildjian emailed me back yesterday and said that he could provide me with a UPS shipping label so that I may ship the cymbals back to the factory to be re-edged. Hopefully this will be the solution to my problem!
  5. Drifter in the Dark

Upgrading Hi-Hat & Snare Stand

Absolutely! I've been using the same Yamaha 700 series single-braced cymbal & hi-hat stands for the past 10 years, and they've held up amazingly well! It just might be my favorite hardware- lightweight & easy to carry, yet still very durable.
  6. Drifter in the Dark

Plexiglass - but a little different.

I think it's cool that the small plexiglass shields can be mounted to cymbal stands, but aside from having to lug around more hardware, the disadvantage is that you'll have all those extra stands cluttering up the drum riser.
  7. Drifter in the Dark

And just like that, you hate your current gear...

You're really onto something there. I've heard of players using Gretsch kick drums, especially in the studio, regardless of which toms or snare they have. Jon Fishman of Phish has used a 22x14 Gretsch for almost his entire career with the band. Also, Tony Williams' little 18x14 Gretsch "bop"...
  8. Drifter in the Dark

Weird Acrolite

I've had some issues before with having to "press fit" Remo heads on drums, but not with Evans heads. Really, that's something you should never have to do at all. Evans heads are slightly oversized around the collar & hoop so that the flat part of the drumhead film always sits flush on the...
  9. Drifter in the Dark

What’s the “Supra” of Piccolos?

Yamaha's piccolo snares always sound fantastic! Brass is a popular choice (as singleflammedmill mentioned), but the wood-shell drums are also great! I have a 14x4 Maple Custom Absolute with hook lugs and die-cast aluminum hoops. The level of sensitivity and articulation just blows me away every...
  10. Drifter in the Dark

Slingerland Heads

I think a good starting point is to try a single-ply coated batter head, such as a Remo Ambassador or Evans UV1, and a 3-mil snare-side head such as the Evans 300 mentioned above. From there, you can add muffling as desired.
  11. Drifter in the Dark

Need advice for cheap jazz cymbals set

Istanbul cymbals has a lower-priced series called Xist that would be good for jazz; they still have the warm, dark tone you'd expect from a Turkish-made cymbal. Wuhan is also a decent-quality option. There's another Chinese company called Dream that makes cymbals, and theirs tend to be a little...
  12. Drifter in the Dark

Rack setup with only one Tom?

Just wanted to say, that's a very nice setup! They look like Yamaha Live Custom series drums. I've heard them before, and they're really loud, but in a good (musical) way!
  13. Drifter in the Dark

Bought a Ludwig Acrolite Today

Since your drum looks like it's pretty new, I wouldn't worry about the strainer just yet. But...the thing about P-85's is that they tend to become a little "dodgy" as they wear out over time. Eventually it'll be difficult to engage the snares from the "off" position, and you'll have to give the...
  14. Drifter in the Dark

New heads for an old drum

The Ludwig Weather Master medium is a single-ply coated head, much like a Remo Ambassador. The blue Emperor you're thinking about using is a 2-ply head, which will sound substantially different than the Weather Master, especially since it's clear and not coated. You can put a clear head on a...
  15. Drifter in the Dark

Cheap Pedal?

I'm with you on this one! I have a DW 5000 hi-hat stand with a solid plate, and for the club gigs I do, it's definitely overkill. Having to tighten and loosen the 4 drum-key bolts on the bottom every time you set up or tear down is a real pain, not to mention it's the heaviest item in my entire...