Recent content by DrewTheShoe

1. DrewTheShoe

Vintage 13" Ludwig Tom Restoration

So I snagged a 13" B/O Blue Sparkle Maple Ludwig rack tom for $56 shipped a few days ago, and it finally shipped in. Turns out someone forgot to mention a seam that's held on by staples and some internal grime. I'm not as concerned with the seam right now cause I would just like to clean it up...
  2. DrewTheShoe

Coated Heads on Shallow Birch?

Hey guys, I have a quick question about my rack tom. I have a Tama Superstar Hyperdrive, which pretty much means a 12x7.5 rack tom in birch. This results in a shorter, more punchy note. I've already tried out coated G2's on it, but they were just too dry for me and my needs. I still love that...
  3. DrewTheShoe

What exactly is MIDI?

My buddy is really interested in getting into synth sort of things, and he already can play the piano. He constantly sees "MIDI Compatible" or "MIDI Controller" and it's driving him up the wall not knowing what it is. I believe I know a little about it, but not nearly enough to really know what...
  4. DrewTheShoe

Riffs That Make You Go "Oooh..."

I decided to make this because I was listening to one of my favorite [guitar] riffs of all time, and I would love to know what everyone's favorite riffs may be. At this moment, my favorite is the last quarter or so of this live recording of Muse's "Knights of Cydonia". Great guitar in general...
  5. DrewTheShoe

A Wee Little Cover

Well me and my buddies Jordan (bassist) and Kevin (guitarist) all got together one day and jammed. We've been thinking about starting a band for a while now, and Kevin's dad wanted to see what we were like. We proceeded to throw this together. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcGEvvBRYig (Please...
  6. DrewTheShoe

Evans GMAD

I've recently gotten wind that Evans has come out with the GMAD, a G-Plus version of the EMAD. I use an EMAD, love it actually. I'm thinking about maybe picking one up just to see how it is, with the extra 2 mils and all. Has anyone used/purchased the GMAD? Do you like it? How does it compare...
  7. DrewTheShoe

Steeler Nation!

I am pleased to announce to all other members of Steeler Nation congratulations: we did it. Oh what a stressful 4th quarter. In other news, all Pittsburgh area public schools are opening two hours late tomorrow. Classic Steel.
  8. DrewTheShoe

Click Track MP3's

Hello ladies. Does anyone know where one could get a hold of (preferably free) MP3 files of set click tracks? It's going to be a little bit before I can get my metronome, and I would like to get a head start on practicing with a click.
  9. DrewTheShoe

$150.

Well, after having a successful sale of one of a tom of mine, I have $120 flying in. I already have $30, so [after some kindergarten math] I now have $150. Amazing. Thing is, I'm not entirely sure what I should invest it in. Things I have been thinking so far: - Vintage Acrolite (Currently...
  10. DrewTheShoe

Smooth White or Coated Resos?

Hey guys, coming atcha with a reso head question. I'm going to upgrade stock reso heads soon [finally!] and have come to either Smooth White Ambassadors or Coated Ambassadors. I've already got Coated G2's up top, so I don't know if coated would be too much coating, and smooth whites give a nice...
  11. DrewTheShoe

Ebonies, Suedes, Smooth Whites, Oh My!

I was looking at Remo heads today, and realized all the different textures/varieties of heads that Remo has. Quite honestly, I have barely have an idea what the difference between Ebony and Black Suede is. Same goes for Smooth White and Suede. I know there are quite a few Remo enthusiasts here...
  12. DrewTheShoe

Vintage Zildjian Avedis Rides

Hey guys, how are we doing? Today I've come to ask our vintage Zildjian fanatics about the Avedis line. The time has come for me to upgrade from my 20" B8 Ride, sadly. I have looked, listened, tested, and touched just about every ride that I could get a hand one. The one that really caught my...
  13. DrewTheShoe

K Mastersounds

In my quest for better cymbals, I have stumbled upon the K Mastersounds. I personally love them. I love the sound they make, the characteristic Mastersound chick to 'em, and the fact that I know that K's will have a pretty sweet resale value. I'm just concerned about whether or not they would...
  14. DrewTheShoe

EC Reso?

Anyone heard/ tried these out before? I'm intrigued by them, and by what Evans is feeding me I would like them, but I'm still against the thought of even a slightly muffled reso head. Any thoughts?
  15. DrewTheShoe

SuperKick III

Well, I took the plunge and invested in a new kick batter. It just so happened that the store clerk recommended either an EMAD or the SK3, and I chose the SK3. And I love it! It's pretty deep, but it's also punchy and full. The muffling has eliminated pretty much all of my overtone troubles...