Recent content by donv

1. D

Playing in Drag--Bermuda!

Wanna explain that one? haha Just saw the Weird Al Biograpy Channel show, and I'm impressed with the band more then ever. The extent of your musicianship, and everyone else's really shines in the show. Kudo's. So, what's in the works?
  2. D

Phase shift effect with drums

I heard Itchygoo Park (sp?) by the Small Faces on the radio this morning and it reminded me that I've always wondered how phase shifting is done with drums? Unlike a guitar where the entire signal is sent through the effect, this doesn't happen with a drum or cymbal, yet there doesn't seem to be...
  3. D

"Technical Music"

I'm curious of how others define this. I was talking to a metal drummer at a GC earlier that said he plays "technical" music. After talking to him more he defined his music as "technical" because of long, involved songs with a lot of time signature changes. I agree that what he described sounded...
  4. D

Video Editing Software

I picked up a digital video camera for my grandaughter for Christmas and like it enough that I picked one up for myself. I would like to be able to edit unwanted stuff from the recordings and add text if that's possible. I'm hoping or assuming something worthwhile along the lines of Garage Band...
  5. D

Ipods and mp3 players question

My grandaughter wants a Jonas Brothers and Hanna Montana CD along with an MP3 player for Christmas. I've been looking at mp3 players and the Ipods are substantially more then the other players. What I don't know and would like to know is if the ipod is worth the extra money? Can anyone help?
  6. D

The Moeller Book

There's been a lot of discussion here on DW about Moeller and I'm curious about how many people actually have his book, "The Moeller Book?" Also, Stick Control by Stone comes up a lot, but how many have and use his book, "Accents and Rebounds." I believe Stone referred to this book as "Stick...
  7. D

Anybody play the Marimba?

I've been looking for a latin drumming teacher with no luck, but I ran into a community college music teacher today that offered me marimba lessons. I took him up on his offer because it sounds interesting, but I really don't know anything about the instrument except they're darn expensive and...
  8. D

Midi\Synth Keyboard.and trigger question?

I've never used triggers before, but I was given a Korg M1 and can it be used as a control for triggers? I know almost next to nothing about electronic drums.
  9. D

Drummerworld survey or spyware?

I just logged out of Drummerworld and what appeared to be an drummerworld sponsered survery came up. I answered it thinking it was site related and site sponsered, but when I finished it an ad for various "herbal procucts" appeared. Was this site related or spyware spam? Anyone know? Thanks.
  10. D

Ludwig Colesum Snare

I have this snare and didn't even know it was a coleseum until today. Does anyone know anymore about the snare then what is stated here? I assume it's a maple snare, but I reallly don't know. It"s a great snare except for the throw off which sucks. I never would have guessed it had this kind of...
  11. D

Portable Digital Recorders

Is anyone using one? Any opinions on which ones are good for recording praticing drums and rehearseals? I'd like to pick one up this weekend and keep it under $300 which I know is going to limit the choices. Thanks.
  12. D

Jarreau, Sample and Amazing Gadd Solo

The song's "Spain." I'd never heard this before so I thought maybe others haven't either. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugy0-t9QBL8&feature=related
  13. D

Real Books

I don't know much about the real books for jazz, but are the drum charts in them?
  14. D

Bernhard--Something for the teachers

Is there any chance of starting a new forum topic for teachers to introduce themselves, give their locations and a discussion of skills or specialization? Drummers looking for teachers can then do a search by location. I've been trying to find a teacher for latin drumming and I've had no luck...
  15. D

How good is your memory?

Do you remember all the songs you've played? I went to a big pinic jam over the weekend with most of the gang of us that played back in high school.That was 37 years ago. I wasn't alone in the forgetting, but I was surprised at how much I didn't remember. Melodys, rhythms and beats I remembered...