Recent content by dkerwood

1. dkerwood

Is it possible to make an unported kick feel like ported?

I'm doing an extended gig over the next few months and the house kick has an unported reso. My kits have always been ported, so my right leg is really fighting the drum. Is there anything I can do to give me more of a feel that I'm used to? Will tuning the batter down get me in the ballpark? I'm...
  2. dkerwood

Immediate upgrades/hacks for a 90's Pearl Export?

I'm seeing a lot of people using heavy-duty craft vinyl to rewrap. This vinyl can be had for less than $15 a yard, which means I can rewrap an entire 4-piece kit for about $30. In fact, I still have some bits and bobs from an old Pearl Rhythm Traveler kit that a buddy gave me in college...
  3. dkerwood

Immediate upgrades/hacks for a 90's Pearl Export?

The kit I was going to buy sold before I got to it, so I'm now looking at this Pearl Export. Everything you see (except the A Custom crash, which sold separately) for $250. First of all, can anyone give me more information based on the badge? I know the lugs make it 90's, but I can't...
  4. dkerwood

Nice set, beater set, which goes where?

Say you have two full kits - one is a beater, the other is your pride and joy. What do you do with them? A) Keep the pride and joy at home and away from the abuse of the road. The beater kit goes to gigs. Of course, this means you never get to show off your masterpiece. B) The beater is at...
  5. dkerwood

Recommendations for (non-BD) tom mounts?

It's been a few years since I've used a Pearl rack - can the newest ones adjust up and down? Otherwise, I really liked my Gibraltar rack back in the day, but MAN the Pearl was so much easier to set up and tear down. The biggest challenge I had with the round bars is that they would rotate...
  6. dkerwood

Jazz “ Left Side” cymbals

My right side ride is always the main ride. It's always the bigger one. The left side ride is always the one that I consider to be "the crash" of the two. It's usually higher pitched (but not always) and usually dryer than the main ride. Its primary purpose in my mind is to be the primary...
  7. dkerwood

Edit me oh yeah

Or maybe not. Most of us who were there can't remember it. Lol.
  8. dkerwood

Set sizes... fusion, standard, something "in between"...

Mine were 80's Ludwig Rockers. I never measured, but it they WEREN'T square, they couldn't have been far off. My new kit will have a 16x14 floor. I'll be interested to see how it sounds different than the 16x16 floors I've been running for almost two decades.
  9. dkerwood

You're exactly right. I searched high and low in 2009 for the right cases for my set and they absolutely did not exist, at least not for a newly-married, just out of college teacher whose wife was still in college. I was a little salty because just a year or two before I helped a drummer...
  10. dkerwood

My very first "real" set had 12, 13, 14, 15 rack toms and a 16" floor. That was... unwieldy. I dig your set. As long as all the right handed guys are confused by your lefty setup, might as well blow their minds with non-standard sizes, right?
  11. dkerwood

Certainly not as often as I used to. :-)
  12. dkerwood

Edit me oh yeah

Pretty sure I still hold office. At least my signature says so.
  13. dkerwood

Poll: Cymbal Logos

I like to maintain the logos, but mostly because of eventual resale value. Every so often, I feel the need to wipe the slate clean and sell everything, even gear I swore I'd never sell. Also, I have a terrible memory. Once that logo is gone, it's awfully difficult for me to remember exactly...
  14. dkerwood

Minimalist hardware suggestions

So I sold most of my drum and cymbal collection in 2019 and 2020 (wasn't playing enough to justify keeping $3000 of instruments in cases for years at a time), but now, with a new house and more space, I'm buying everything again (as one does). This time around, though, I'm aiming for a much...
  15. dkerwood

DW 5000 replacement parts

So I've been letting some other people play on my drums, usually while I'm playing guitar, and we've been playing a few gigs around town. On top of that, I just finished a musical theatre gig, which involved moving some of my hardware around quite a bit. As a result, when I checked my drums...
Back