Recent content by dkerwood

1. dkerwood

DW 5000 replacement parts

So I've been letting some other people play on my drums, usually while I'm playing guitar, and we've been playing a few gigs around town. On top of that, I just finished a musical theatre gig, which involved moving some of my hardware around quite a bit. As a result, when I checked my drums...
  2. dkerwood

Mounted slapstick?

Hey, guys, I'm playing in a community orchestra as the only percussionist. I do enjoy the challenge of performing the entire percussion section alone, but I've run into a problem with "Sleigh Ride." I'm sitting at my set, playing bass with my right foot, sleigh bells with another bass pedal on...
  3. dkerwood

The bait and switch: Jazz gig

I was asked a week ago to play in a jazz combo before my church's big Christmas Eve service. We did a couple of rehearsals with me playing on an acoustic kit, so I was using the usual assortment of acoustic snare sounds- cross stick, brushwork, snares off and on... the whole works. Today I got...
  4. dkerwood

Getting smoke out of shells

Hey, folks! I just got an offer for a freelance gig tonight with a touring artist. Only problem is that he's playing a bar an hour away and I know it will be smoky. I've been somewhat spoiled because the town I normally play in has been smoke free for several years, so I haven't had to deal...
  5. dkerwood

Need some advice on a snare upgrade

Okay, fellas, for the past few years I've been using three snares for various applications: Tama Starclassic 14x6 Brass snare - wicked for rock applications Ludwig Rocker Mahogany snare with chrome wrap - my general application snare: jazz, pop, rock Ludwig maple piccolo snare - Mostly for...
  6. dkerwood

Considering some cymbal trades/upgrades- need some advice

Alright, so I found a guy about 3 hours north of me that is selling some killer cymbals for great prices. My church is wanting to buy themselves a set before I move and take mine with me. As I got to looking, however, I realized that I could get involved with the transaction and a) save me a...
  7. dkerwood

Snare drum sounds like a paper bag!

Okay, so I haven't been able to play my kit for a couple months. It's set up at church and the last seven or eight weeks I've been assigned to play guitar and someone else plays drums (we've got three drummers and only one electric guitarist). The last time I played, I noticed that my snare...
  8. dkerwood

Church drumming- an adventure like no other

I came to church on Wednesday night for praise band rehearsal, and had to laugh. The band leader had told me he wanted to use some of his new platforms to define some space for drums, bass, keys, guitar... but I was expecting the 8" platforms- just enough for a little lift. Imagine my...
  9. dkerwood

Set sizes... fusion, standard, something "in between"...

I own a drumset whose three toms are 10, 12, and 16 inches. Before I bought this, I also played with a drummer whose kit had the same sizes of toms. Back when I had a 12, 13, 16" kit, I tended to overlook the 13" tom. For some reason, I could never get a good quality tone out of it. Thus...
  10. dkerwood

When people slight your drums...

We had a regional band come to lead worship at my church this morning, and the worship leader asked if it would be alright for the band to use my drumset- GMS CL series. I say no problem- I always like to hear my kit from the room. When I show up this morning, though, the drummer is using his...
  11. dkerwood

Drumming outdoors in cold weather

So tomorrow I have a gig playing drums on a trailer for a St. Patrick's Day parade. Afterward, we're going to play another hour or so at a local bar (they're sponsoring the parade float). Weather report for tomorrow morning is low to mid 30's. Soooo... I was originally planning to use my...
  12. dkerwood

Why DW is one of the best forum sites on the webz...

I just joined Harmony Central's forums to ask some guitar effect questions... Let me tell you, it's chaos. Mods don't moderate, vulgarity everywhere, and all sorts of off topic posts. Just imagine if in the middle of the Cymbals category somebody posted a thread about how eBay now stops the...
  13. dkerwood

Need help ID'ing a Slingerland

6 lug Craigslist special. What do you think this drum would be?
  14. dkerwood

Pearl experts, need your help ID'ing a kit

Looking at this Craigslist kit for my church. Can you help me ID it, as I can't read the badge from the pics? I also would love some help ID'ing the cymbals.
  15. dkerwood

Is there anything more tedious than training a new band member?

As much as I love the fun of hiring a new band member (in our case, a new drummer) and integrating their personal style into the band... ...How tiring is it to have to spend all the time to re-learn all the material? Gah! We really do like the new guy, but I *HATE* learning old music. Some...