Recent content by Disco Stu

1. Disco Stu

Considering Leaving the Band

I've just come off a very poor performance last night, and it has me thinking about leaving my band. There were some things that made it a bit challenging: I was playing an unfamiliar kit (from the previous band), and I accidentally cut my hand yesterday and had it all taped up. These things...
  2. Disco Stu

Why did you get fired?

I wouldn't mind being fired from my current band, which probably means I won't be fired.
  3. Disco Stu

Used Yamaha Kit - Should I Buy?

I came across a kit for sale in my area. It's a used Yamaha recording custom kit (9000RA) from the early 80s. Sizes: 12x8 TT 13x9 TT 16x16 FT 22x14 BD 14x6.5 SD The kit comes with hardware, cases, 2 ride cymbals and a set of hi-hats. Owner is asking $1100. I looked at the kit in person...
  4. Disco Stu

Black Beauty Questions

I've been wanting a Ludwig Black Beauty for some time now, but I'm reluctant to pony up $600 for a new one. As I've been perusing eBay, I've noticed there seems to be a lot of "B-Stock" Black Beauties out there. In some cases, I think this is not disclosed by the seller. I think Ludwig is...
  5. Disco Stu

Angry Snare Buzz

I'm having a problem with sympathetic snare buzz. Now, I'm fine with the usual amount of snare buzz that is triggered by the bass and toms. But when I hit my 12" tom, the snare reacts with a viciously noisy buzz. It's so loud that it overpowers the sound of the tom. I have spent hours trying...
  6. Disco Stu

My Gig Kit

Well, it's not actually mine. The kit belongs to the keyboard player in my band. I've been using it at rehearsal, but my bandmate agreed to let me use it for gigging so I wouldn't beat the hell out of my kit. Anyway, this kit wasn't handled with the best of care. It's has a lot of scratches...
  7. Disco Stu

Repairing a Stripped Tom Mount

I'm using an old Sonor Force 2001 kit for gigging. It actually belongs to the keyboard player in my band. It wasn't well cared for, but despite that, it's in pretty decent shape. One problem that needs to be resolved, however, is a stripped tom mount. Unfortunately, it's not the tightening...
  8. Disco Stu

Just Spent $400

On what? A nice, new snare drum? A couple of beautiful new cymbals? No! I just spent $400 on new heads, sticks, and gig bags. Ouch. These peripheral costs are killin' me. Just a reminder to keep these things in mind when budgeting for your drum gear. They can really add up.
Back