Recent content by Diet Kirk

1. Diet Kirk

Help I need advice on what to do next with a project

Hi guys, Over the years this forum has always been a good place for sound and wise advice so given that I'm at a bit of a strange crossroads with a project, I thought I'd log back in after being absent for a few years and see what you all thought. I spent a large chunk of the last 5 years...
  2. Diet Kirk

Bostonians - advice

Hi guys, Instead of posting back in my honeymoon thread as this is pretty specific I thought I'd start a new one and see if we have any Bostonians in the house. As part of our honeymoon, we are swinging through Boston for two nights. Arriving in a hire car from Portland, ME and then driving on...
  3. Diet Kirk

NAMM 2015: Premier 'The Beast' Snare

http://www.musicradar.com/news/drums/namm-2015-premier-drums-unleashes-the-beast-613756#!3 I'm particularly interested in Andy's view as to whether this weird looking this is an interesting concept or simply hyperbole?
  4. Diet Kirk

Playing at your own wedding - Lessons learned!

For my wedding this past October, I booked an exceptionally talented New Orleans style brass band for something a little bit different (Different that is to folks in the UK in terms of wedding bands!) I chatted a lot with the band leader and mentioned that I was a drummer (not on purpose...
  5. Diet Kirk

Honeymoon Road Trip - Americas advice

Hi guys, My new wife and I are planning on an Americas road trip for our honeymoon this summer. Seeing as a lot of you are from said continent, I thought I would ask for your advice. Attached (Hopefully) is our tentative itinary. I think its doable, and the intention is that it was more of a...
  6. Diet Kirk

Paiste Crush Ride (Dimensions and 2002)

Anyone own one of these bad lads? http://www.paiste-only.com/paistewiki/index.php?title=2002_20%22_Crush_Ride Based on the descriptions and sound files I've heard, seems like a crazy cymbal to discontinue. Started life as the Dimensions crush ride, morphed into the 2002 crush ride and then...
  7. Diet Kirk

Truly Unique?

Having just recieved a nice rebate from my bank I decided to celebrate by finally changing my ride cymbal. I'm still in something of a budget contious mode so I opted for a lovely used little Paiste number. I've been meaning for some time to round out my paiste collection, but my recent...
  8. Diet Kirk

Heavy music, where did the ride go?

I've just replied to another thread and then realised something. When did metal/heavy music drummers stop using the ride during double kick parts. Everything is always on stacks or soft fast crash cymbals these days.
  9. Diet Kirk

I'm a sucker for weird looking cymbals

Anyone else here a sucker for weird looking cymbals? I love anything that looks unique or a little bit different. Biggest problem I have is that often the sound I'm going for doesn't match what my eyes love in a cymbal! Any sympathisers? and whats the wierdest/coolest looking cymbal you've...
  10. Diet Kirk

32nd notes in a 16th note fill - singles or doubles?

In a similar vein to the other thread about single or double choices. Little hands up poll. When you are playing 16th note fills and you want to slot in four 32nd notes to give it that little pep, do you play singles or doubles?
  11. Diet Kirk

Your favourite Mug!

I've just moved cities and started in a new office. Apparently I now have to supply my own mug! Hit me with your favourite mugs, drummer related, music related, art related, comedy, anything you like and help me select the most exciting bit of office equipment there is! I quite like this for a...
  12. Diet Kirk

Wedding ring including wood ideas

I'm having my wedding ring designed to include wood as a little nod to my love of all things drumming and wood related. One of the things that always drew me to drums was the beautiful grain in the wood of some kits. These two links show the kind of thing I'm getting made, with the wood inlayed...
  13. Diet Kirk

Problems with space and time

My surname is Kirk, but sadly I am no Captain! I found the thread about keeping time on the hi-hat interesting. The OP had difficulty when playing 8th notes on the hi-hat. I have the complete opposite problem. Whether its keeping time on the hi-hat or with the right hand, I find that the...
  14. Diet Kirk

Midi-Sheet Music I need your help!

Morning all, Some of you may already be aware (and be sick of it by now) that I'm getting married in October. As a surprise to me future wife I've written a fun little song that my wedding band are going to learn and play. The band in question are a New Orleans style brass band consisting of...
  15. Diet Kirk

1980s worst of demo tape!

http://www.audiotechnology.com.au/wp/index.php/the-worst-demo-compilation-in-the-history-of-the-world/ Absolutely terrifying!