Recent content by dboomer

1. dboomer

Removing Cymbal coating, what results?

I’m with you. I wanna play metal and not painted metal. I’ve stripped multiple cymbals. I‘m pretty sure the coatings are polyurethane so a paint stripper that included methylene chloride works well and is easy. But you will need to wear gloves.
  2. dboomer

Another drum tuning thread

Considering a single head ... essentially you have a fundamental pitch from the dead center and harmonics close to the edges. The first harmonic is mostly the only one audible, but there are a bunch more but very very weak. When you add a second head the two heads will resonate the same...
  3. dboomer

Another drum tuning thread

With regard to the overall pitch/timbre of the drum that is a mostly correct statement. However if you have different heads top and bottom then all things are not equal.
  4. dboomer

Mixer for full drum miking

It’s a bit more work to get set up or to move around. But with a digital system you’ll get a ton of processing (compressors, gates, eq etc) that you would have to buy additional gear to duplicate
  5. dboomer

Aging of tonewoods

Well generally the bearing edges aren’t finished and there are holes for hardware, etc. If the finish is lacquer moisture can go right through it as it is more like fish scales than a continuous sheet. Think about it like when you leave a wet glass on your table and get a white ring.
  6. dboomer

Aging of tonewoods

Moisture content is dynamic and can go up or down depending on humidity. Shells can both shrink and swell depending on where you put it.
  7. dboomer

Vox Telstar Drum Kit Demo

On8 the kits with a single mounted tom (not like in the photo) there was another tom mount that held the snare drum. So there was no snare stand so nothing to get in the way of two feet.
  8. dboomer

Vox Telstar Drum Kit Demo

It already is by itself.
  9. dboomer

drums too loud in unfinished raw basement

Here’s what it takes to do the job. I’m guessing $20k
  10. dboomer

Online buying and selling....shipping slowness yet full priced shipping rates?

You should be thankful they haven’t raised prices considering all the extra costs they incur to prevent you or their workers from getting the virus.
  11. dboomer

drums too loud in unfinished raw basement

You have two issues. Sound reflection inside the room and sound transmission through the ceiling. Be aware they are mostly unrelated. Reflection in the room is relatively cheap and easy. Blocking sound from penetration the ceiling will be relatively expensive.
  12. dboomer

Don’t you hate being ignored?

Not arguing with you. Just pointing out that other people may have different opinions. It might have seemed horrific to the seller.
  13. dboomer

Don’t you hate being ignored?

I’m wondering what forum the two sellers are posting a topic ... “Why do people bother sending lowball offers” ;)
  14. dboomer

A Drummer's Most Important Quality

Once I figured out that I would never become the best drummer in the world I decided if I could have as much fun as the best drummer in the world then we would be equals.
  15. dboomer

A Drummer's Most Important Quality

Joy while playing!