Recent content by Curly Haired Drummer

1. C

AAX Xplosion Vs AAX stage crash Vs HHX evolution (16")

In my opinion, that's the description I'd give the Evolution. I own the 18" and it's a pretty dark, but very clean cymbal. While on the thinner side, it's incredibly durable (I used to have crappy technique which would cause my cymbals to crack quickly, but it still outlasted all my other ones...
  2. C

Problems with D'Addario...

I have broken wires, but I never cut them too short and make sure they're bent away from the head. The bearing edge has a few little kinks of something in it, not steel like the rest of the shell, but more of a resin material(?) I don't know if it has an effect at all, but they're there alright.
  3. C

Well, I've made the switch from Remo to Evans, and while neither are perfect, Evans are better for me. Their heads stay in tune better, tune easier, sing at most tuning, have more durable coatings and keep their sound longer (at least I think so). I prefer the Heavyweight to the Emperor X...
  4. C

Anyone try Tre Cool drumsticks?

Hey man! I was a big Green Day fan a couple years back, and I remember buying them for my first ever gig. My memeory's a little hazy since it's been so long, but I remember they felt pretty good in my hands. If you're a player with big hands, these'll be comfortable due to the 2B dimensions. If...
  5. C

How to naturally play quieter?

As a hard hitter, I break a great deal of gear from time to time. So, money-wise, hard hitting isn't suitable for me at the minute. Also, my band were discussing me playing too hard, and some things were said (thoughts I'd rather not mention), and so I need to play lighter. My budget isn't...
  6. C

Can't say I have any problems with Evans heads, (because I haven't played them), but Pro Mark shira kashi oaks, to me anyway, seem to have slacked off, I loved the tips on them, wouldn't budge if to took sandpaper to them (mild exaggeration), but the new D'Addario ones break like paper being hit...
  7. C

Rock/Metal drummers: Kick drum beaters that give you a real "click"?

I saw a video on Youtube, on Gibraltar's channel, they have a series called "Brent's Hang" and Brent showed off a bass drum patch that came with a metal disk that you could slot into it, but if you really want a beater, I'd +1 the wood Vic Kicks.
  8. C

Wood Hoops

Hi everyone, I recently watched a video on Matt Cameron's Yamaha kit, and his drum tech said that the wood hoops gave a lot of sustain. I wasn't sure about that though, I thought there would be less sustain, and I'm also curious why I haven't seen many kits with wood hoops, and where are the...
  9. C

What would be your dream kit?

This one's a long shot, but I'd love to have it soo much. Gretsch USA Custom in a regal blue mist finish, with gold hardware, set up Bonzo style :) 14x10 16x16 18x17 26x16 10x5, 12x6 and 13x7 concert toms to the left of my hi hats (Taylor Hawkins/Roger Taylor kinda vibe) My (hopefully to be...
  10. C

Complimentary Crash

Hello fellow drummers! I'm looking to buy a secondary crash, at the higher end of the market, but don't want to spend my money on a cymbal that sounds like it was just thrown on a cymbal stand because it sounded good. Basically something to compliment my setup. I usually play hi-hats, ride and...
Back