Recent content by CommanderRoss

1. CommanderRoss

Yikes...Joey Jordison passed away...

Correct. I sadly forgot about him. No words.
  2. CommanderRoss

Returning to gigging... how are your experiences?

This will be me in a month as the first post-coved gig is finally booked. A small blues band that hied me to fill in for their regular guy in a small artsy town south of me. I'm definitely looking forward to it, but am nervous at the same time since, like Bermuda, I haven't played with actual...
  3. CommanderRoss

Yikes...Joey Jordison passed away...

Then Dusty the same week. Sad is an understatement. I remember seeing him put is own blood into the ink vat when his signature sticks were first introduced. Now THAT'S metal! 🤘🤘 As they always go in 3's, I wonder who's next?
  4. CommanderRoss

Dusty Hill, ZZ Top bassist, dies at 72

I was shocked. Been a ZZ fan since '76 & this was very unexpected. He's the second pro musician after Joey Jordison to go this week. May the "rule of 3" not be invoked here.
  5. CommanderRoss

Advice on Learning 7 Hours of Music

This. Do basic charts of each song & have it at the ready. If I've learned anything being a hired gun, its charting & playing through the setlist ad nausium. Then come gig night, you'll not only have the songs in your head to add to the fun factor, but you'll have your notes to help out if you...
  6. CommanderRoss

She's Back!!!

She's definitely in a whole other league. Proof that with the right attitude and patience, YouTube success can pay off.
  7. CommanderRoss

Do You Hold On To Stuff You're Not Using?

I did for a while. Then one day I had an epiphany looking at my studio that I REALLY needed to clean house. 90% of my extra drums, hardware & specific accessories went to those in much more need than I. Now I have only what I play & use to fix other drums. Everything else is gone & I couldn't...
  8. CommanderRoss

In Case you haven't Seen This.....Bermuda

Outstanding! You would be a blessing to know in private life. (y) Thanks Grunt for posting this!
  9. CommanderRoss

Greyson Nekrutman & Nick D’Virgilio Talk Big Band Drums

He's a prime example of how studying another style gives you a style all your own. GN loved Rich, Krupa & Bellson and it shows in how he plays. He's really keeping the old school alive.
  10. CommanderRoss

Do most drummers hate metal ? as much as normal popheads? ( extreme metal)

I've been a Metalhead since 1980 and I can tell you that among us there are genres of metal that wear thin pretty fast. I can only take blast beats for so long before I can't stand it anymore. That being said, I'm always amazed and impressed that a drummer can do that so fast for so long...
  11. CommanderRoss

I Am Leaving This Forum

Agreed. I understand the need to leave, but to do so in such an abrupt way is puzzling. I hope he's well and returns one day.
  12. CommanderRoss

Exclusive Guitar Center Drums

"Scam Ash"...never heard that before. 😄 I love it when they send over some bozo from another section with no clue what's in the drum room. "Are you sure this Ludwig Black Beauty is only $105?" "Yes...yes I am". 😄
  13. CommanderRoss

Pets and drums

The thread about drumming & dogs got me thinking: Anyone have pets that hinder your practice? Here's a pic of my late basset hound laying across my pedals. At the time, I had all quiet gear on my kit & he wasn't bothered by it. Then after a time, he started doing this. No real issue as I'd...
  14. CommanderRoss

The Therapeutic Value Of Drumming

I beat my kit like it owes me money. The simple act of (controlled) hitting of something when stressed is relief beyond belief. I wouldn't trade it for anything else.
  15. CommanderRoss

Drumming is for the dogs!

Could be!