Recent content by Chunkaway

1. Chunkaway

Easy survey on Drum brands

Would: C&C, British Drum Company, Sonor Wouldn't: Pearl, Yamaha, Mapex
  2. Chunkaway

Buyers Market

I don’t see this as a buyer‘s market at this time. I bought a 1967 Acrolite in good - not great shape - for $350. That was an average price for the condition on Reverb for the past year or so. (It’s actually slightly higher priced.)
  3. Chunkaway

Tuning a C& C kit for recording

Which model C&C kit are you playing? The Player Date I is never going to give you a bright, crisp sound. The wood and edges give the drums a warm, tubby sound. It simply isn’t built for a bright sound.
  4. Chunkaway

Tama Dyna- Sync Observation

Hmm...that’s interesting. I wonder what I can do to try to compensate for the lack of a cam. I mean, I have a pretty heavy beater/weight on there now.
  5. Chunkaway

Thanks guys. The beater is exactly the same one I was using with my DW pedal. I can try some other ones, but the DW one has a weight on it so it’s pretty heavy already. And just to be clear, I wasn’t trying to compensate for poor technique when I bought the Dyna-sync. Rather, I had read that is...
  6. Chunkaway

I recently picked up a new Tama Dyna-Sync bass drum pedal. I had been using my trusty DW 5000 for the past couple of years, but I read several reviews about how smooth and quick the Dyna-Sync is. After playing with this pedal for a few weeks, I noticed that it definitely is smooth and quick...
  7. Chunkaway

Ludwig Classic maple "Hepcat"

One word: Resell Even ugly Ludwig finishes will have much better resell value than the Oriollos. I know, I know...you’ll “definitely“ keep this set forever. Except life doesn’t work that way. So, knowing I’ll be selling these drums someday would influence my choice. Wouldn’t make the final...
  8. Chunkaway

Ludwig Club Date USA or Gretsch Brooklyn

I have a set of Brooklyns and to my ears they do not sound like the Renowns. The Brooklyns sound like a slightly vintage, modern drum set. They don’t have the attack of modern drums (like the Renowns) but they aren’t as tubby as vintage drums. I prefer the Brooklyns to the USA Customs because...
  9. Chunkaway

What is your favorite toms configuration?

I'm currently a big fan of 1 up/2 down. I specifically play a 20/12/14/16 with a 14" snare for almost all situations. If there isn't space, I'll go to a 20/12/14 or a 22/12/16 setup.
  10. Chunkaway

Top 10 kits of 2020...

Thank you for the thoughtful response. I went back and listened to the PDP set. The bass is wonderful, I agree. Nice choice!
  11. Chunkaway

Top 10 kits of 2020...

I have no problem with anyone's playing on these videos. I actually appreciate the different sounds/mics/playing that are presented. I just am not inspired by any of these kits. Most of the other videos you have done get me interested in the product. (Your Gretsch, C&C, and Ludwig shootouts are...
  12. Chunkaway

Anyone on here own a shell bank? Any regrets?

I actually have three shell banks. I have a C&C 12th and Vine, a Rogers 1967, and a 1969 Ludwig set. All of these drums are 22, 20,16,14,13, and 12". No regrets at all for me. I can do just about any genre, in any situation that I could forsee playing in with these drums.
  13. Chunkaway

Top 10 kits of 2020...

Honestly, besides the Sonor (which I hate the look of) none of these kits interest me in the slightest. I am not a fan of attack heavy tones. The PDP sounds decent but that’s about it. All the rest of these kits leave me absolutely unimpressed.
  14. Chunkaway

Does Anyone Actually Gig with A&F Kits and Snares?

I have wood hoops on my C&C kit, so it does have claw hook tension rods. I never have any issue with the drums going out of tune. Levon Helm gigged a ton with his Ludwig drums that had claw hook tension rods. I don't see how he could have managed that amount of touring/gigging with his drums...
  15. Chunkaway

Does Anyone Actually Gig with A&F Kits and Snares?

I have no dog in this race, as I neither own nor am passionately against owning am A&F snare, but a couple of things come to my mind. First off, I never, and I mean absolutely never, see anyone gigging a Yamaha Phoenix, a Tama Star, a DW exotic, etc.... High end kits are rare as it is. I don’t...