Recent content by Chris Whitten

1. C

Need Help! Confidence at Zero!

If you don't feel you are starting songs at the right tempo, take a tempo aid with you on gigs (an iPhone metronome, or Tama Rhythm Watch or something). The main issue for me is overthinking this. I used to have a good feel for tempo, maybe sped up a little bit on some songs, until someone...
  2. C

'Coming Up' Live on tour with Paul McCartney

It was click throughout, because I had that percussion loop going the whole song, plus in the middle breakdown I had bigger, louder drum loops going, so I didn't even need to play.
  3. C

No cymbals in the tom mics (y) Original:
  4. C

I've always had a lot of messages asking me to talk about my drum intro to 'Coming Up' on the 1989/90 tour. I finally got around to it.
  5. C

"Don't Stop Believin" What Did You Play?

I watched a Steve Smith video about that drum part and was shocked at the complexity. It is not my cup of tea and had I been on the record would have played something much more straight forward. Which makes me....me, and Smith a super well known legendary drummer. But still, I'd be leaving out...
  6. C

The tempo is wrong!!

I play with the click in the studio. I use a click as a guide playing live. I'm still 'in' with the click, but I can move with the music, maybe being slightly on top of the click in chorusses and solos, then sit back on it in verses. I NEVER ignore my band mates.
  7. C

The tempo is wrong!!

If she's an 'awesome singer', maybe she is right?
  8. C

Hihat bleed into snare mic.

It's not a problem unless raising the level of the snare in your mix means you hear too much hi-hat. Tape an oblong block of foam over your 57, which creates a barrier between the snare mic and hi-hat. But I play my snare quite hard and tickle my hi-hat. I also have the hi-hat positioned a good...
  9. C

The tempo is wrong!!

I have a slightly different take on all this... The main thing about the tempo being wrong is 90% artist psychology. Of course, no top drawer drummer is going to play the song at the wrong tempo. I saw Keith Carlock consulting his metronome before every song on tour with Steely Dan in 2008. For...
  10. C

Steve Jordon Kit 2024 ?

Hmm, which others have 1) ever endorsed, or 2) toured with an internationally famous artist????? What is your history of endorsing and playing in top level touring bands Tom that gives you an 'equally valid' opinion? 😅 There are several members of the forum (other than me) with decades of...
  11. C

Tips on traveling with gear to the UK

I have flown for gigs all over Europe and beyond. The UK actually has excellent drum rental with such a vibrant music scene. I have a Protection Racket cymbal case that is extra sturdy and has extra padding for flying. I've checked my cymbals in as baggage many times and never had a problem...
  12. C

Yamaha EAD10 to AVID MBOX Studio

If you have PT running you probably have to have the EAD input in Pro Tools set to record and the output sent to the monitor.
  13. C

Steve Jordon Kit 2024 ?

I already said, artists on that level rarely endorse. My whole point is about Yamaha, also the integrity of endorsing. My point really has nothing to do with the band, or even Steve Jordan.
  14. C

Steve Jordon Kit 2024 ?

I never said he should. My first post was 'so Yamaha are history?". People are cynical about endorsements because they think most endorsers don't use what they endorse and often don't even like what they endorse. In my experience that is very, very rare. I was playing Pearl up to touring with...
  15. C

Steve Jordon Kit 2024 ?

Yamaha pretty much make everything except cymbals.
Back