Recent content by brentcn

1. brentcn

Help With a Drum Room Problem?

I'm assuming the gaps around the doors have been adequately addressed. There are two ways to improve it: build a floating tennis ball platform, and de-couple the door frame. The first is easy, quick, and cheap. Without floating the floor, you do not have a "room within a room" in any...
  2. brentcn

Help With a Drum Room Problem?

The mass of the door doesn’t matter as much as having a good seal all the way around, on both doors. Decoupling them further increases isolation. An “exterior” door should be fine; no crazy framework required. But you’ll have small gaps around the edges that you’ll want to address. What’s the...
  3. brentcn

Need Help, Zoom Q4N 4K

Use a different output on the mixer if you can, like the tape out. The phones output might be damaged, or the wrong impedance. I've used the Q2N, and line level is fine for this camera's audio input.
  4. brentcn

Need Help, Zoom Q4N 4K

We would expect the RCA output on the mixer to be line level.
  5. brentcn

Need Help, Zoom Q4N 4K

How is your computer connected to the mixer? What input and connection on the mixer? What kind of mixer is it?
  6. brentcn

Teaching drums: tips and such, from a teacher's perspective

Here's a couple things, for the beginner/intermediate lesson giver: Get the students counting out loud. The old saying "if you can't sing it, you can't play it" applies to drums, too. For whatever reason, engaging the voice helps a student connect an intellectual idea to a muscular movement. Of...
  7. brentcn

Vinnie can do it all.

For sure. But does sparseness = groove? VC’s take on this tune is dense, but it’s also strident and, when there are downbeats and backbeats, they sink into the rest of the band so well. Despite the flurries of notes, there is zero friction between him and the other players. I hear that...
  8. brentcn

Teaching drums: tips and such, from a teacher's perspective

So many things! Here's another post that might help. https://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php?threads/interview-to-teach-at-school-of-rock.168500/#post-1673269
  9. brentcn

Vinnie can do it all.

Hey, glad you're getting vaccinated! :) 10,000 is the number of hours, true, but how you spend those hours is equally as important. And it's not to become a virtuoso -- it's "expert". This only applies if your training and experience are challenging and have breadth. You can't just hack away in...
  10. brentcn

Vinnie can do it all.

The Sting gig probably sold the most concert tickets, yes, but the Frank Zappa gig wasn't small-time stuff, nor is the Herbie Hancock gig. He has performed with Faith Hill at the height of her career, too. I'll never understand why some drummers say "he probably can't play a dance groove" or...
  11. brentcn

Negative effects of positive feedback.

I never really got praise, and I have that same lament.
  12. brentcn

Vinnie can do it all.

I hear this type of criticism a lot, though usually from non-drummer musicians. You just don’t care for it? Okay. But Sting cared for it, for certain. Why do you think that was?
  13. brentcn

Negative effects of positive feedback.

Don’t sell yourself short. It’s really difficult to become a competent drummer. It’s the easiest thing in the world to be a not-so-good musician; there are just so many ways to fail.
  14. brentcn

Double bass lost in mix

Dang microphones, always exposing flaws in our playing! And heavy beaters will probably make this habit more noticeable, not less. Instead of burying the left beater, try to stay centered and balanced. If you absolutely must lean to one side, see if you can get into the habit of leaning a bit...
  15. brentcn

Do you control your own stage mix?

I used a very similar set up for many years. Just a small 4-ch mixer with 1) a FOH mix, 2) click, 3) backing tracks, and 4) kick. In bigger rooms I would need a bit more kick and click, but that's really all I ever adjusted. Some tracks had a quiet click so I would turn up the click in some...