brentcn's latest activity

• brentcn
    1. Pulling my fingers back, collectively, with the opposite hand. 2. Stretching my wrist the other way, pulling with opposite hand. 3...
  • brentcn
    Do you stretch? I’m 44 and I *need* to warm up now - it’s not optional. Been using Great Hands for a Lifetime to do so, though, to get...
  • brentcn
    brentcn replied to the thread Straight or shuffle?.
    Shuffles are fun to play, for sure! What type of tunes do your cover bands play? We can suggest tunes that would fit in terms of genre...
  • brentcn
    brentcn replied to the thread Playing doubles on kick drum.
    Most of the time, I'd agree with this. But in my own playing, it got to the point where the first stroke wouldn't open up the gate on...
    • 1623681818615.png
  • brentcn
    brentcn replied to the thread A guide to drum books.
    Tough to make a recommendation without knowing your skill level and goals. What music do you like to play? What do you want to play...
  • brentcn
    brentcn replied to the thread How to manage a band?.
    [ The biggest thing is to get everybody to update the shared calendar to include dates they won’t be available. That way, you can say...
  • brentcn
    brentcn replied to the thread How to manage a band?.
    Google calendars can be exported/linked to iCal. There are other apps for scheduling (our group uses Master Tour), but I think Google...
  • brentcn
    brentcn replied to the thread Having a hard time.
    If they’re a good group, they’ll be able to see that, if you don’t have it 100%, you will in the near future. In my last group I was...
  • brentcn
    brentcn replied to the thread Having a hard time.
    If a guitar player can strum chords, or play a riff, while singing this tune, then you can manage a drum beat while singing, too...
  • brentcn
    I am a band director/percussion instructor of 30+ years. Have worked with students starting in 5th grade all the way up to starting in...
  • brentcn
    The Rudimental Logic DVD spells it out, if you can find that.
  • brentcn
    brentcn replied to the thread Help with stick control again.
    I'm late to this discussion, and I won't go against this advice... But I do think it would really help the OP to explore throw-catch, at...
  • brentcn
    Yes, good idea. Thanks Brent!
  • brentcn
    You can use a 4 mixer, and a separate DI box that has a mic thru, for your vocal.
  • brentcn
    brentcn replied to the thread Floor Tom Sustain.
    You can tune the 14X14 differently to reduce its sustain. Tune the top head down and the bottom head up, or vice versa. It may help to...