Recent content by boomstick

1. boomstick

Jack White's Drummers

What she plays totally makes sense in the context of the music, which takes a very stripped-down approach. No bass guitar means the bass has to come from the drums, so big drums and simple rhythms makes it work. Also, the energy between the two added something special to the performance that I...
  2. boomstick

Jack White's Drummers

*This vid is a great tour of JW's kit.
  3. boomstick

Jack White's Drummers

I was on a youtube kick and started checking out live clips from Jack White's various bands. I like how they all have a similar sound, but the different musicians bring a different vibe to the mix. This is especially noticeable with the drummers, since guitar and drums are the dominant...
  4. boomstick

If you could go back in a Time Machine, who would you want to see live?

Long list for me. James Brown with the Original JBs. The Parliament Mothership Connection show. Prince with Sheila E as drummer. Billie Holiday. Elvis. Bob Marley. Zep/Bonham. Nirvana…or just making the rounds in Seattle at that time. Floyd with both Waters and Gilmour. Early show by The...
  5. boomstick

What do you think of the Dave Grohl-Nandi Bushell drum battle?

I caught a live show by Extra Action Marching Band that basically did that sort of thing. Obviously drum heavy, and it was one of the best shows I've ever been to. As for soloing, I can certainly enjoy watching them, especially live, but usually the visual aspect has to be there. Remove it, and...
  6. boomstick

SEEKING INFO - Who tf is DICK CULLY? (bitter, twisted old Buddy Rich sycophant on YouTube)

I guess it's what you do in the shadow that counts. Roy Burns may have been lurking there, but he had a relentlessly positive attitude. You could tell he enjoyed being an educator. And then he went on to co-found Aquarian, so ultimately was probably more financially successful than Buddy.
  7. boomstick

Thoughts on Phil Collins

Much respect for all he has accomplished. Lukewarm about his music. I did make it to a Genesis concert when Chester Thomspon was backing them. Great fun watching those guys have a drum duet. It was more musical and enjoyable than the typical drum solo.
  8. boomstick

What is wrong with my Funky Drummer groove?

This is the video where Clyde breaks it down...
  9. boomstick

This. To be honest, I find Grohl's drumming skills to be the least impressive thing about him. I think a lot of people could reach that skill level if they put in the time and the effort. But very few can then go on to back one of the most successful and influential bands in history... Even...
  10. boomstick

I'm generally not interested a pure display of skills, or even drum solos. I'll surely pay attention if it comes my way, but the visual component is usually such a big part of it, and I'm more interested in what I'm hearing. Yes, it's amazing to watch Buddy Rich wail out a solo, but it's not...
  11. boomstick

Are power and volume the same thing?

I'm adding this to my list of "stuff I wish I learned at the beginning that took me way too long to figure out."
  12. boomstick

Karen Carpenter

Yes, Blaine was speaking specifically about studio recording, which a "fine drummer" who was "just as good as other drummers on tv" would surely pick up eventually. He wasn't putting down her general playing skills. As I understand it, the main reason why Karen moved from behind the kit to the...
  13. boomstick

When can you call yourself a drummer?

The Funky Kazoo is a deep, deep JB track.
  14. boomstick

When can you call yourself a drummer?

Ya, trap kit, trap set, drum set, drum kit, whatever you want to call it, that's basically what we're talking about here, but drummers aren't exclusively drum kit players. A person who plays a djembe is certainly a drummer. Some might call them a percussionist, but we're percussionists, too, as...