Recent content by boomstick

1. boomstick

Why aren't there more sets of heads?

This is probably what you should be lobbying for: None of the pre-packs work for me, so I have to buy individually. I like Ambassador batters, but since I'm purchasing them individually at full price, no need to stick with Remo on the resos. I've got Aquarians there. If there were bulk...
  2. boomstick

Nice set, beater set, which goes where?

This is what I have now. I want to perfrom with my main kit as much as possible, and this is one reason why I chose a wrap finish. However, if the gig looks too dicey or too small, I have a second kit that is basically a smaller/cheaper version of the main one. The second kit usually gets used...
  3. boomstick

Symmetrical floor toms

I have a symmetrical setup that is basically a standard 4-piece configuration except I use the small tom as a left side "floor tom." Since this setup is not far from a standard setup, I can still sit at a shared/house kit and feel comfortable.
  4. boomstick

What do we know about what happens neurologically and biologically when we practise?

After a long hiatus, I started practicing seriously again. After a while, my wife said "you've got your drummer's body back!" So there's that.
  5. boomstick

What do we know about what happens neurologically and biologically when we practise?

I've been thinking about this lately since the most rapid improvement in my drumming happened over 40. A big part of that was a switch to open-handed playing, so it's interesting that you brought up Simon. As I made the conversion, I could almost feel those neural pathways forming and...
  6. boomstick

Here's the clip I remembered. The full episode goes into more detail. https://www.pbs.org/video/brain-david-eagleman-episode-3-clip-2/
  7. boomstick

I watched a documentary series called "The Brain with David Eagleman" that covered this subject, among others. It was a few years back, so I don't remember all the details, but there was something about developing the neural pathways for repetitive motion, and their example was a cup stacker. It...
  8. boomstick

Drummers Arise

Rock, R&B/soul/funk, electronica/EDM, classic country, some pop, some hip hop, some world, and a smattering of metal.
  9. boomstick

Poll: Cymbal Logos

Ah, I made the weirdo/psychopath category. Excellent.
  10. boomstick

The Last Kit

Beautiful kit. I'm a big fan of the "last kit" feeling. The only thing I fear is having it damaged or stolen, because it took me so long to get everything just right, with customization and parts from many different sources...I dread going through that process again. Plus now I can put more...
  11. boomstick

Can anything be mounted here? Maybe something Gibraltar makes?

I've mounted a cymbal with one of these. One end on the floor tom leg, one end holding a cymbal boom. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PDAXQGC--pdp-concept-quick-grip-clamp
  12. boomstick

3 gigs, 3 states, 3 days - pics and video included.

Cool. How are you feeling about the Ludwigs now that you've had them for a bit?
  13. boomstick

What's your latest purchase?

Well, when a problem comes along, you know what to do.
  14. boomstick

What's your latest purchase?

These Vic Firth Doubleglaze are a good substitute for out-of-stock Regal Tips.
  15. boomstick

Ever bring your own lights just for yourself?

I saw a band where the drummer had a clear acrylic kit, and each drum had different color light trigger in it. So a bass drum strike triggered a blue light, floor tom triggered a green light, etc. Doing rolls would make a strobe effect. It was pretty cool.