Recent content by Bonzo_CR

1. Bonzo_CR

20" Kick no power

I have a theory that each kick has a magic combination that makes it sound best. I had managed to get a nice sound from a 16" Breakbeats kit by experimenting with heads (batter and reso). For that one the best was a PS3 and Aquarian Regulator reso - I was surprised how much difference the reso...
  2. Bonzo_CR

Promark stick length

Here's one music store that seems to have done their own measurements (or maybe they got the info from the previous Promark site) https://www.thomann.de/gb/5a_drumsticks.html?price-first=0&filter=true&manufacturer[]=Pro Mark Strangely for one of the models they have weighed both sticks and got...
  3. Bonzo_CR

How to notate hitting a drum with two sticks at the same time (NOT a flam)?

How about not L or R, but U for Unison? I have seen that I think
  4. Bonzo_CR

Snare dampers

Another popular 'clean' method that works well is to cut a 1" ring from an old head and lay it on top, around the edge of the head. That will cut overtones out. You can even buy pre-cut rings for this (for example Evans E-Rings) If the circle results in too much dampening then just cut it to...
  5. Bonzo_CR

Promark stick length

That is odd isn't it? Some folks here noticed that their website is pretty confusing on specs: https://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php?threads/promark-website.169068/ However I can confirm that Promark's 5A is exactly 16" long, just like everybody else's. The problem is not the...
  6. Bonzo_CR

What is your workhorse snare from your collection?

Mine is the Tama SLP Dry Aluminium. Versatile sound, nicely built, great value. (Actually, since I put a coated Emperor on it the other week, it sounds just like my Supra...)
  7. Bonzo_CR

Stage Custom Birch owners: do your shells have one badge or two?

I have a current generation Stage Custom from late last year. Both of my rack toms have two badges each, both of my floor toms have one badge each.
  8. Bonzo_CR

LM402 tuning driving me crazy

Fritz, I am sorry to hear about this. It really seems like you tried everything to get this drum to sound how you want. I can only imagine how frustrating it must have been. I feel like we've all gone through this with you. You are not alone brother! Let us know what you decide to do...
  9. Bonzo_CR

Double bass

Larry, I think it's great that you're trying double bass. Your continuous limitless journey through drumland is an inspiration :-) My story is that I liked the idea of a double pedal so I got one, about 20 years ago. I had gone to an audition where I didn't get the gig, and the band said...
  10. Bonzo_CR

"Gospel Chops"...I just don't get it.................

Me too. This stuff is totally righteous! The gospel stuff is a style like any other. You don't have to like it but I think it's great to listen to, and there's a lot of pretty inspiring playing IMO. Sure I don't get the chance to use something like that on a gig very often, but if I got a...
  11. Bonzo_CR

Replacing Stock Heads

A quick google suggests the Mapex Mars are birch shells, in which case I would suggest clear Remo Emperors or Pinstripes on top and clear Remo Ambassadors on the bottom for toms. The emperors will have a balanced round sound with a little more sustain, the pinstripes will sound 'thicker' with a...
  12. Bonzo_CR

Slightly Modified Yamaha Stage Custom Birch

Nice! I'll have to try mine out too!
  13. Bonzo_CR

Mapex black panther fastback 12x7

It will sound great. I have done gigs with a 12x5 maple snare as my main snare. I have tried that Black Panther model in a drumstore and I liked it a lot. Hope you like it!
  14. Bonzo_CR

Slightly Modified Yamaha Stage Custom Birch

Nice kit! I did something similar recently. I sold my high end kit and I bought a SCB instead. I also like Emperors on top. Are you using the stock snare? What do you think of it? (I didn't try the snare out yet)
  15. Bonzo_CR

Supraphonic hardware question

Yes! Many people :) . A coated Emperor is a great head on a Supra. I think Fritz is also trying out heads, per his other thread