Recent content by biggow

1. B

Your Holy Grail

I'd love to hear what are people's Holy Grails in terms of kit. What's that one piece, be it kit, snare, cymbal or whatever, that you've been trying to track down for years. Maybe some of you actually managed to track it down, or perhaps there's a story behind it slipping through your fingers...
  2. B

Most versatile kit

It seems there have been a bunch of most versatile snare drum threads, but I haven't found much referring to most versatile kit. So what do people think constitutes a truly versatile kit i.e. works in many musical genres and sounds great both live and in the studio. Or is there really just no...
  3. B

Spent a few hours in Drum Shop (Washington, UK) today

I had a fascinating couple of hours in Drum Shop in Washington today, and feel the need to share some thoughts on what I discovered. I should start by saying that I have a Gretsch USA Standard kit at the moment, and although I wanted to check out all the delights Drum Shop had to offer I wasn’t...
  4. B

Help with Yamaha DTX530

I've just purchased a 2nd hand DTX530 from Ebay, and I can see at some point I might want to upgrade it, particularly the tom pads. Does anyone know if the silicon based XP70 pads can be used on the DTX530, as Yamaha's site is not 100% clear? Also, I assume there would be no problem upgrading...
  5. B

Can't seem to find 'that' pair of hats

I've been searching for some time now to find the perfect pair of hi hats, and I'm not sure if I'm just being unrealistic, or whether the answer lies in the vintage domain. So many hats I've tried just sound 'clangy' and metallic to me, whereas I'm looking for something that sounds smooth and...
Back