Recent content by bermuda

1. bermuda

Returning to gigging... how are your experiences?

I did my comeback gig on July 4 for a small party, with two sets and light volume. It took a few songs to get back into the groove with live players, but we all locked-in quickly. I didn't break a sweat and wasn't tired or sore, and it was an afternoon gig so I wasn't up late. However, last...
  2. bermuda

In-ear monitor weirdness

The isolation is as personal as you want to make it, and most bands have audience mics - stereo no less! - to bring that ambience into the mixes of those who want it. Agreed! Well, certainly not in a concert situation. If a large club wants to put a small wedge next to me, I may or may not use...
  3. bermuda

A Drum Shop Database Thread

That's my inclination as well. The list will be easily fixable, so if something is way out of place, members can let us know and it will be adjusted accordingly.
  4. bermuda

There is. :) But that alone doesn't differentiate between a shop that sells online, and an online-only 'store' such as Reverb, Cymbalsonly, etc.
  5. bermuda

In-ear monitor weirdness

Yep. 😁
  6. bermuda

In-ear monitor weirdness

I used GK-Music phones for years, and love them. Fidelity is great (I already liked the Sony 7506 drivers in them) and ez-on-ez-off is a nice feature compared to molds. They're also considerably less-expensive, and quickly repaired or replaced (although cheap enough to just carry a spare pair.)...
  7. bermuda

In-ear monitor weirdness

That too. It's a much bigger picture than just the gig at hand. I would give anything to go back 30 years and get molds.
  8. bermuda

In-ear monitor weirdness

I understand that there may be budgetary considerations, but there are certain commitments and costs of doing business and you get what you pay for. I don't mean the fidelity (necessarily) but the fit absolutely makes a difference in the result for which in-ears are intended. I suppose that a...
  9. bermuda

Fork's of course and thanks on Steve Maxwell, will note that he's primarily a vintage & collector's shop with some esoteric brands. :) Hard to know where to draw the line for online stores. Sweetwater for example is widely-known online, but who knew that the headquarters in Ft. Wayne Indiana is...
  10. bermuda

Got them, thx. Currently there are 50 US shops on the list in progress, but there's room for a lot more! :)
  11. bermuda

Learning new songs

Best way, especially when something has some twists & turns, uncommon pushes and stops, etc. I give the song a cursory listen just to get the vibe, and make some basic text notes which will be added to the set list. I listen again, this time charting the arrangement. From there I write a...
  12. bermuda

In-ear monitor weirdness

Closed-minded for sure, and selfish. Not a team-player. And not someone you want on stage with you, in some cases complicating the mix that the audience hears. NO sideman is so good that they can't be replaced with someone just as good, and with a better grasp of the big picture.
  13. bermuda

Nomenclature!

That's part of why we're also listing the metro areas. But I also want the listings to be clear to everyone around the world who may not be familiar with another country's abbreviations/codes. Hopefully the metro area will clear up a lot of that. For example, when I see London, I don't have to...
  14. bermuda

Nomenclature!

Thanks!
  15. bermuda

Nomenclature!

I always thought that UK implied more than just England, even though I've seen addresses like London, UK If there's a shop in Glasgow, would that also be considered Glasgow, UK?