1. bermuda

I'm gonna be a bebop jazz player.

Hmmm, then I'm doing it wrong. Wrongly?
  2. bermuda

I'm gonna be a bebop jazz player.

So, you're joining a non-profit organization? 😂
  3. bermuda

you can only pick two snare drums...

Interesting how I just noticed this thread, and I don't know what my answer would have been 9 years ago, but two snares have appeared during that time, and they are tied for my favorites: Ludwig 6.5x14" Copperphonic, and 8x14" Black Beauty. I have the 8" Copperphonic and 6.5" BB, but I prefer...
  4. bermuda

Linking Names and Naming Links

Thanks @fl.tom - I learned a few things!
  5. bermuda

Sometimes I play traditional grip and sometimes I play match grip.

I learned traditional and eventually played matched. But I still flip my left stick to trad when I need to do rolls. I'm sure I could learn rolls in matched, but I'm already up to speed with trad.
  6. bermuda

GIO Cymbal Endorsement

The artist does the endorsing, not the company. And most endorsers pay for the product they receive, though at a significant discount (50-70% off list, sometimes more.) The difference between a major company and a small company selling direct is that the small company inflates their list...
  7. bermuda

Ringo Cymbal Sound - What Cymbals Will Work?

Most companies offer great classic cymbal sounds, but good luck matching the right cymbals in the same place at the same time. You'll zero-in fast with the Avedis line. They all sound like the old Zildjians did, and you could even order them online and likely get a great sounding set without...
  8. bermuda

In ears

Some performers onstage do have to use wireless, but things don't fall apart musically if they get a glitch. With the drummer in particular, glitches can be devastating. I had used a wireless pack for a very short time. Even putting my own transmitter on my riser was no guarantee of flawless...
  9. bermuda

In ears

So, you're the keeper of the flam? :)
  10. bermuda

In ears

Track or not, anything that interrupts the mix (or is otherwise distracting) isn't a good thing. Nobody needs surprises, or to be playing with the fear of surprises. Another caveat for those who still want to use a wireless pack: it needs a fresh battery to work its best. That means changing...
  11. bermuda

Who needs toms? Only joking of course! But we can explore fills created from the elements that we’re already playing on without heading to the toms!

I played with a band for a few years, using a kick, snare, hat & crash/ride cymbal (sometimes two cymbals if I was feeling adventurous.) After a while playing with them, I added a rack tom. Not because I felt limited or had become bored, but I guess just to see if the songs might benefit from a...
  12. bermuda

So I was a guest on a podcast.

Thanks for the mention, I didn't listen yet but for the record I have 33 kits, 112 snares and 1,029 cymbals. :) PS - just listened, great interview and thanks for the shout-out!
  13. bermuda

In ears

Same here, and since I'm working with tracks, problems are unacceptable. Since the drummer sits in one spot and presumably doesn't move for a while, there's no reason to not be hardwired (and save the expense of the pack at the same time!)
  14. bermuda

GIO Cymbal Endorsement

If they claim to be Turkish, then probably from one of a handful of foundries in Istanbul. Soultone (for example) gets their cymbals from three foundries, and from Masterwork (as of about 5 years ago.)
  15. bermuda

GIO Cymbal Endorsement

I checked their site for a list of endorsers/customers, and... nothing.