Recent content by belairien

1. belairien

Let's see your Gretsch kits (saved the best for last!)

I'm glad I went with a 14"/16". An 18" would be a little much for me. I've had 2 dud Remos in a row on my 16, but can still get it sounding great. I have a love/hate thing going on with emperors, and the Renowns have worked with the duds pretty well.
  2. belairien

Dang that sucks. Hopefully it comes soon. My 16" is a monster, and I'm sure yours will be as well.
  3. belairien

No, he died waiting for the kit to ship.
  4. belairien

No More Zildjians

Well if you need ping! :LOL: Depending on your play style, odd and interesting cymbals are a good way to spice up a song. There was a time when I was playing with three rides in a metal band. A heavy pingy ride, a medium, and a light. Blasts and breakdowns got interesting.
  5. belairien

No More Zildjians

I started on Sabian, got a killer deal on some old As and Ks that I slowly sold off for more, and pulled in some Paiste. Really liked my Twenty series ride, except the stick definition was lacking. Back to square one now, but my handful of pies sounds better than the giant pack of B8 I started...
  6. belairien

No More Zildjians

I've had all but the hats for a few years now, and now Sabian has a bunch of AAXs listed by weight range. Looks like they are moving more towards universal. Still listing them as crashes and rides, but its a start. The Xplosions are still nice for quick accents and riding crashes. The Bash Ride...
  7. belairien

No More Zildjians

Used to have a 60's A Zildjian ride that was so heavy it was like playing a manhole cover. Medium- thin is where it's at for me. Ping, wash, and crash. Multi-use so I can carry less to the gig ;)
  8. belairien

No More Zildjians

I wish they had a 20" Xplosion Fast. I would give the Aero crash the duty of my optional china. They get a nice little wobble with how thin they are compared to things like A customs.
  9. belairien

No More Zildjians

With the hats are a 19" Xplosion fast crash, a 20" Aero crash, and 21" Bash ride. I would have gone darker if I didn't play a lot of metal rock and grunge. But after using them in a context where one would expect a darker sound, they were fantastic. I can cover light acoustic songs all the way...
  10. belairien

No More Zildjians

I am also now Zildjian free. I've been playing the same 14" A Mastersounds for years, even as I cycled through other brands finding what I liked. Just replaced them with some 15" AAX medium hats, and finally have the versatility I want. Rest of my set up is the bigger, thinner pies from the...
  11. belairien

What is your favorite toms configuration?

1 up 2 down. I like my ride over the kick, and rack tom almost directly in front of me. No room for a second. 2 floors give rumble, plus a 5 piece sound. I also like the 2 inch difference between toms, and use a 12/14/16.
  12. belairien

Sweetwater Exclusive Gretsch Renown

Most oomph I've had in a kick since my first 22x18. It sounds bigger than it looks. Only comparable kicks I've had were 16" deep. But this is more responsive.
  13. belairien

Sweetwater Exclusive Gretsch Renown

It depends on how the light hits it. Here is a better shot of it. You get shades of red and orange, hence the "Burnt Orange"
  14. belairien

If you can have only have hi hats/crash/ride...

That's how my bash ride is. Some times I hit an FX crash. But that's not often anymore.
  15. belairien

If you can have only have hi hats/crash/ride...

Basically the Zildjian version of my Sabian set up. I take it you're a fan of few but versatile as well?