Recent content by beatdat

1. beatdat

Odd things you've done while drumming

https://imgflip.com/gif/1rug8x
  2. beatdat

Fusion study material

I’m not aware of any material that focuses on fusion specifically, but seeing as you already have a background in jazz, instead of diving straight into fusion, maybe try dipping your toes into the other end of the pool first - prog rock. If you study some of the early greats (eg. King Crimson...
  3. beatdat

What have you learned here?

Among the many things I've learned here, if I had to only pick one, it would be the importance of subdividing and counting out loud while practicing, or, more generally, that timing - and developing good time - starts in the brain. It's been a contentious issue around these parts, but I'm a firm...
  4. beatdat

Looking for a power amp for vocals

Good point! The 15" speakers are mine and my bass player's, so we're looking into an amp for them. The 12" speakers belong to the band we're sharing the space with, and they have an amp for it. It's not a very good amp, though, and it can barely push the 12" speakers, so if we can get an amp...
  5. beatdat

Yorkville is (I'm pretty sure) a Canadian brand. It's pretty ubiquitous around my parts, and seems respected enough, but I can't say I've ever heard anyone rave about their products. Good point on the 1/4 jacks, and the cooling fan, too! While it gets pretty damn cold here in the winter time...
  6. beatdat

Interesting take. I'll be heading into the space tonight and take photos of the 15" speakers, and then post them here tomorrow. To clarify, are you suggesting putting the 15" speakers on the floor as monitors, and using the 12" speakers on their stands as mains?
  7. beatdat

I appreciate the resource, thanks! Yeah, I have a cursory understand of the importance of matching impedances - which I once learned the hard way. Fortunately, my drum teacher also has a solid knowledge of these kinds of things, but it's been so long that he's been in the market for such...
  8. beatdat

My band has found a new rehearsal space, and I'm looking for suggestions on a suitable power amp to buy that will handle vocals well. The room itself is about 18' x 22', with 8.5' ceilings. We have 2x 15" Yorkville speaker cabinets that we will use as the main vocal speakers, and 2x 12"...
  9. beatdat

Under Rated Guitarists

Has anyone mentioned Prince? The man was a monster guitar player.
  10. beatdat

Singles in heel toe technique.

Do those songs require heel-toe technique? I'm pretty sure they can be played with good ole' fashioned ankle strokes, no?
  11. beatdat

Slow practice really works

Like most things in life, there's both an art and a science to drumming; but where science dictates what you do, art lies in what you don't. My teacher told me early on that it's not what you play, but how you play it - anything can, and should, groove. It took me a long time for to get that...
  12. beatdat

Snares with 2 snare tension adjustments

Yeah, I think dual tension adjustments results in a more consistent response around the drum, but what do I know? Pretty sure my Pearl free-floating snare drum has them, but I haven’t played it in awhile so I’ll have to check next time I’m at the rehearsal space.
  13. beatdat

Uninformed Drummer Dad | Snare Question

So, both?
  14. beatdat

Under Rated Guitarists

For sure. Always saw him as the John Paul Jones of Rush.
  15. beatdat

Question regarding metronome practice with sheet music

You should work on making any beat work at any tempo, while keeping in mind that the same beat will feel different at different speeds. Impatience with slower tempos is usually a sign of musical immaturity, and is sometimes the result of one's arrogance in believing that slower tempos are easy...