Recent content by AzHeat

1. AzHeat

The sound of the drum is within the heads

I’ve watched the videos and most everything presented seems reasonable enough. I can’t discount shell material after listening to the DCP Gretsch comparison video. All things were equal EXCEPT shell material and the differences were noticeable. Also, with my old drums, I just couldn’t get...
  2. AzHeat

anyone ever tape over a 5-inch bass drum hole?

You mean like this? It’ll never work...
  3. AzHeat

Gretsch Renown vs USA Custom - worth the £1500+ difference

I wasn’t even getting into the weeds with electronics, but you wouldn’t think so by the greatest majority of threads and comments.
  4. AzHeat

You and me both. Those videos couldn't be more convincing there's more to a drum sound than heads and tuning, and I just liked too much about each.
  5. AzHeat

trouble with remo silentstroke heads

it's why I went the path of Super Pads. They have enough articulation to hear definitions and lot more like real heads. They also sound decent and easy to convert back to acoustic when I can. They are more like a snare tuned medium. Real drums are still easier to play, so the benefit is...
  6. AzHeat

The DCP videos were probably the best for showcasing the differences. The Brooklyn, Broadkaster and USA BDs were massively different, followed by FTs. You’d expect that with the Broadkaster and round bearing edges, but USA and Brooklyn are only different in shell material and hoops. Weight...
  7. AzHeat

Looking at the Renown pics, you may be able to cut it down to a 22x14 just fine. You’ll be in my camp with a mix of classic and modern sizes. if you went to Brooklyn, the biggest difference you’ll notice is the BD tone. Poplar warms up the shells some, and more noticeable as the drums get larger.
  8. AzHeat

Questions about the Yamaha CROSSTOWN hardware...

I wouldn’t worry about them much on uneven surfaces, unless by uneven you mean stands are going to tilt a full 45 degrees one way or other. Worst case scenario, I’d say keep two 700 bases In the truck and call on them if you ever need to. I had my 21” Evolution ride on them with the 700 boom...
  9. AzHeat

My glass glitter is defective. lol! So with regular wrap my 16” FT would resonate for 20 seconds instead of the current 15? Wow!
  10. AzHeat

your experience isn’t the first I read of checking. I think that’s the negative with the nitrocellulos. It’s not supposed to shift colors though like it’s counterpart, but both will look like hell if not treated with care. My satin drums would scratch if you looked at them wrong. I also...
  11. AzHeat

The use nitrocellulose lacquer on the USA, which if I remember correctly is a 7 layer process with a day of drying, then wet sanding in between. Renowns use the standard lacquer process, three layers with a final wet sand and buff to luster. Better? Don’t know. Both have their up and down side...
  12. AzHeat

^^You can order the Brooklyn however you want and with any finish. Their website shows a set of finishes they regularly produce, but nothing stopping anyone from ordering from the Broadkaster or USA pallets. My red glass kit is an example. There have been lacquered ones for sale that aren‘t on...
  13. AzHeat

Much respect to those who record...

I’ve struggled with it too. I’ve run into additional challenges where I played the parts correctly, but for some reason I just can get the tracks to line up. One always wants to be ahead or behind the other. I can see the peaks, they are in time, but just refuse to line up. I’ve spent days...
  14. AzHeat

USA is Maple/Gum, Brooklyn is Maple/Poplar and Renown is All Maple. Maple is not best. It’s an option among many. Brooklyn is only less costly than USA, if you don’t compare apples and oranges. A USA wrapped kit is the same price as Brooklyn base. A Brooklyn lacquered kit is the same price as...
  15. AzHeat

Evacuation Level 1

Scary stuff. Hope everyone stays safe. with respects to carbon emissions from vehicles preventing rains....last I checked, 90% of the public is still working from home and airlines aren’t flying even 1/3 of normal. On the other hand, there sure are a ton of hooligans burning buildings, tires...