Recent content by az drum pro

1. az drum pro

Does anyone else find birch drums hard to tune?

Hi all. I have 3 sets right now and one is maple, one is Philippine Mahogany, and one is Birch. They all sound good but it seems with the birch set I can never get rid of snare buzz no matter how I tune the snare or toms and it drives me crazy. I have no problem getting great sounds from the...
  2. az drum pro

LEGEND 4X14 PHOSPHOR BRONZE SNARE DRUM 90S. Are these any good?

Hi all. I have a line on buying one of these and never heard of them and there's not much info online about them. My question is does anyone have any experience with these and if so are they good snares and do they sound good? They have a black badge with a red dot, were made in the U.S.A, and...
  3. az drum pro

Anyone Have Experience with Copper Piccolo Snare drums?

I've heard some good things about copper piccolo snare drums but have never seen one so here are my questions. Are copper piccolo's good for getting a nice snappy sound, not a hard crack, but more of a papery snap that is good for jazz rolls? Also is there much difference if the drum body is 1...
  4. az drum pro

Die Cast Hoop vs 3 mil triple flange hoop for Birch Snare

I suspected that too but wanted a second opinion on this. Thanks porter. Your posts helped a lot :)
  5. az drum pro

Would you recommend going with the 3mm hoop on both sides of the snare or just on top? In other words would replacing the 1.6mm on the snare side with a 3mm help with reducing excess ring or is the batter the biggest culprit? Thanks porter
  6. az drum pro

Hey all. I have a Birch snare 14 x 6.5 with an Evans HD Dry over an Aquarian Classic Clear 3 mil snare side. Even with the HD Dry it has way too much ring to it no matter how I tune it unless I tune it so tight it sounds like hitting a cardboard box. Without using moon gels or studio rings there...
  7. az drum pro

Drum Head combo: Opinions about Remo Vintage Emperor Batter w/ Evans EC Resonant

I have Remo Vintage Emperor's on my toms and stock heads (Evans G1) on the reso side but am considering going with Evans EC Resonant heads under the V. Emperor's which are 2 ply 15 mil (2 - 7.5 mil ply's together) without any built in muffling. I understand the Evans EC reso is a single ply 10...
Back