Recent content by arsalanxaidi

1. A

DRUM Cymbals purchase.. HELP required !!!

Hi all, this is an urgent question. i have to order today. so following are the options i have to buy stuff TODAY (so its sort of urgent as i'm having things delivered from somewhere :) ): Current setup: Pasite 2002 16 inch crash (love it, want to add more 2002s); new beat hi hats and a...
  2. A

hi hat opening sound

I really love the sound of the hi hat bark, or opening up and closing in quick intervals, in music. there's only one question though, while we are jamming to a song at the jamm room, the tip of the stick hitting the tip of the hat creates a loud enough hi hat opening sound, which everyone can...
  3. A

Beat displacement, dotted notes and Gavin Harrison's Rhythmic Illusions

Hi all, hope you guys are doing good. First off im COMPLETELY new to the concept of beat displacement and i intend to start off the book Rhythmic Illusions by Gavin Harrison. Please bare with me as im going to be asking ALOT of questions here in order clear my concepts (i tried searching but...
  4. A

Hi Hat Chic: URGENT question

hi all, I have an urgent question (since I have a gig tomorrow and i'm playing live after a LONGGGGGGG wait) So first off, I have never played a beat before where the only cymbal that is being used is the hi hat chic (basically no time keeping with the sticks, its only the left foot that is...
  5. A

3/4 Time signature Beat (or 3/8 ... ??:/)

ok so here's the deal while working on our first song, i decided i could add a bit of difference to a song by using a 3/4 beat (i think it is 3/4 and not 3/8; i'd like some explanation on that one as well). so the beat is something like this first of all: - single hi hat stroke all along, with...
  6. A

Covers vs Originals... Help required !!!

Hello trusted members, hope all's well. Some imp info regarding my band members: Me - drummer. Playing for almost 18 months. Interested in making original songs Lead guitarist - same as mine Rhythm guitarist: new to the band; playing for almost the same time. Good player. Wanting covers as he...
  7. A

Rhythm and Meter Patterns Help ...!!!

hi everyone :) I'v just started to work on Chaffee's book "RHYTHM AND METER PATTERNS" A quick question here, and i'd have to say that might be asking alot of them here in the coming weeks. The question is, on PAGE 16, exercise 7, where I am supposed to play 1 &; 1 E & Now do i keep my...
  8. A

Being able to WRITE !!!

okay, its a very simple question... Should someone WRITE stuff for themselves as well?? like a solo or something? and while writing, KNOW this will sound good? or is it just better to try and play, and THEN IF NECESSARY, write the parts down !! P.S. I never write anything down by the way ...
  9. A

How many books to practice at a time???

Hi everyone, I have been drumming for over a year now, and due to that certain boredom and CREATIVITY BLOCK, i started working on THE NEW BREED (GARY CHESTER) and STICK CONTROL !! the progress has been good, slow and steady i'd say. The thing, is that lately, i've been practicing daily...
  10. A

Feedback on my Playing please ... !!

Hi All, Please listen to this and give some feedback... http://soundcloud.com/arsalan-xaidi/bolo-bolo-7-5hz-ft-nabeel I would love to hear what people have to say about my drumming overall...Appreciating words, criticize, anything you have to say, i'd love to know. The sound is not the best...
  11. A

Paradiddle beats and fills that follow problem

Straight to the question, say im playing a paradiddle beat on the hats and the snare (i play open ended) starting the beat with my left hand. The beat would be be like lrll rlrr lrll rlrr. The question is, if i have to put in a fill after the whole beat, considering that i normally start a...
  12. A

Purchasing help pleasee !!!

i currently have a basic drum setup. the only addition being the 16 inch Paiste 2002 Crash. i use a ride that came with the set which is 15 inch (:P). i have limited cash and am looking forward to purchase one (or two if i'm lucky and the prices are within range) out of the following: - ride -...
  13. A

MYTH or not: DRUMS NEED TO BE LOUD !!!

ok i'm really angry (confused) right now actually. first off, i've started off drumming almost over a year ago. i had a gig yesterday. and i knw that we did really well. one of the songs was a slow one and one was fast. thats all, 2 songs. a guy today comes up with me, with some musical...
  14. A

Bass Drum Pedal Screw keeps loosening up...

this screw of the pedal keeps loosening up when: - i use too much rebound of the bass drum or try to use to heel-toe technique it loosens and falls down after 5 minutes or so and its really annoying. this process (of loosening up) although slows down comparatively when i use less rebound off...
  15. A

First Gig gone wrong: Feedback & Suggestions pleasee

okay, so today was the first gig of mine with my band. we practiced some songs a week before (not a lot of time in know). there were like 150 people and it was open air. we had been practicing in doors so far and thought that we could perform fine without a mic as we though the place would not...