Recent content by Armor of Light

1. Armor of Light

"Standards" in Rock, Pop, Jazz, Blues..

Hey thanks! My current band is straight up old Blues, and other guitar-type heroics (Clapton, Bonamassa, Trower, Montrose, etc..). I'm steeped in Blues now and know a lot of them, but certainly not all. Just amazing the origins of some songs.. Ha! and too true on cover bands.. Bowling for Soup...
  2. Armor of Light

The opening to Run to the Hills is my litmus test when just sitting down to play with new musicians. Moderate success with that one.
  3. Armor of Light

Ohhh..how I wish I could get people to go for Institutionalized. I'd even sing it..but nobody wants to play it. Old farts.
  4. Armor of Light

Yes. That list is what I was thinking of. I have music that pops up..either listening or playing..just says "Jazz Standard" or "Pop Standard".. They all come from this list. Nothing current or Rock on there boy Howdy!
  5. Armor of Light

Are there official lists of these tunes, or is it just tribal knowledge? Would "Beat It" be a Standard? Would "Rock You Like a Hurricane"?
  6. Armor of Light

Adapting to giant kits

Over the holiday break, I set up ALL my sizes on 1 kit, and ALL my cymbals: I've been playing long enough now (regularly for about 8 years) to be able to do it. I normally play pretty standard 1up2dwn. It's a blast! It will likely never leave my house. Only 2 stands.I need a short hi-hat rod...
  7. Armor of Light

Discreetly positioning sheet music.

Oh shit..not a meeting! Ugh. I only sing like..6 songs. I still need a sheet. I have a big 14" tom right in front of me, and I put it up there. I just either don't drum on it, or drum carefully on it! I have not figured out a good solution for my smaller kit, other than taped right under my...
  8. Armor of Light

Discreetly positioning sheet music.

Other than dirty stick tips..it's a fine idea. Historical documents!
  9. Armor of Light

Favorite tuning key.

This one..came with my kit. My other favorite is the crappiest, chinese-made thing you can imagine, but in a fit of childishness, I stole it from a jerk. Ha!
  10. Armor of Light

What is the max degree of tilt you will play on a concrete surface?

I traded playing on a chewed up, slanted surface for playing flat, but in direct sunlight. 2-1/2 hours. Worth it.
  11. Armor of Light

CHARLIE WATTS: R. I. P.

I had my first gig in a long time last weekend, and some dude really liked my Honky Tonk..yelled out "CHARLIE!!" I was so proud!
  12. Armor of Light

CHARLIE WATTS: R. I. P.

May he rest in peace!
  13. Armor of Light

If you went from playing bars to stadiums, what gear would you change?

I love my Ddrum's..but yes. I've had them for 8-9 years and everything, except the drum lugs, is slowly breaking..being replaced with Gibraltar. Stadiums = Nice Pearl endorsement or British Drum Co, perhaps?
  14. Armor of Light

Hi hat clutch not holding the cymbal

Gibraltar quick-release. Great design! Has never failed or loosened.