Recent content by Andy

1. Andy

What about Birch? Who make the best birch kits?

Just as in maple, trees grown in a colder climate / shorter summer grow more slowly, & produce a more dense lumber.
  2. Andy

Yes - David's a great guy :)
  3. Andy

Agreed - that doesn't look good! I agree. The edge may be a photo issue. I can't imagine Kumu screwing up an edge, let alone using it as an example on their website.
  4. Andy

I'd rate Kumu as more than up there - pretty much the bar standard in Birch drums IMHO. Let's put it another way, if I wanted a birch set, I'd buy a Kumu before anything else. BTW, when considering used / readily available options, another vote here for early Yamaha recording custom. They...
  5. Andy

DW Collector Series concrete snare

I don't know what this drum is constructed from / only going on what's reported here, but every sector of today's product representation uses loose connection to something / association for the purpose of attention grabbing, easy consumption, or implied quality / brand enhancement. It would...
  6. Andy

DW Collector Series concrete snare

I'm guessing concrete is more attention grabbing than soapstone & resin.
  7. Andy

R.I.P ☹️

That's no age - R.I.P. lee :(
  8. Andy

The sound of the drum is within the heads

I don't agree that all the differences are slight - some are fairly significant, many are slight. Expand the range of heads demonstrated and the differences would be even greater. In a live situation unmic'd, or primarily through overheads, yes, I'd hear a difference. In a recording...
  9. Andy

Changing name/deleting account

On reading both threads, I'm fairly sure the Joking thread OP wasn't proceeding with malice - more from a position of parody for the sake of levity. Nevertheless, I felt it was something treading too close into personal disrespect with potential for insult wether intended or not, and it has...
  10. Andy

& of course, I'm hearing appreciable differences between some of these heads, others are much closer to each other in terms of delivery, even though they're all of one manufacturer (except a single Evans example).
  11. Andy

To be clear, I'm claiming the shell material can make a discernible difference should the drum's construction be such that those differences can present themselves. This also means that shell material, all other things being equal, probably won't make a discernible difference in many cases...
  12. Andy

I don't remember that thread, but I 100% agree, that is a shameful way of treating anyone. Respect & empathy is, or should be, the very basis for interface with others. Just because standards of behaviour have lowered hugely amongst the public profile elite around the world, shouldn't mean us...
  13. Andy

On a serious note SirSwingsALot, of course, I changed your name for a bit of fun, but I'm sure a name change can be accommodated - please let us know your preference, although I'm mindful of precedent. As for a temporary suspension, I'm not sure how / if that can be done except in the context...
  14. Andy

Two songs with English Rocker Baz Francis Live

Fun vibe!
  15. Andy

Does that help? ;)