Recent content by alparrott

1. alparrott

Show me your "unmatched" hi-hats.

I've almost never used an actual matched pair of hi-hats. I've owned a 13" K/Z set, a pair of 16" crashes I used as hats, and currently own a series of 14" cymbals that I mix and match (including a 14" Sabian extra thin crash, two Zildjian Z-MACs in different weights, an A Custom top and an A...
  2. alparrott

Stage monitor

Buy a small mixer or headphone amp and go in-ear. Anywhere you can hook up a monitor you can hook up in-ears.
  3. alparrott

What's YOUR single best investment in drum gear?

On an emotional level, my Guru snare. On a practical level, my little red folding wagon for carting gear. On a musical level, the pittance it cost to download LiveBPM on my phone.
  4. alparrott

Anyone else on a break from drums?

If it weren't for our church livestreaming services every Sunday I wouldn't be playing at all. On the plus side, I already had plexiglass all around me :ROFLMAO: We have a lot of kids homeschooling near us so no playing at home; no gigs; I haven't even set my own drums up in months. I have two...
  5. alparrott

Wuhan crash cymbals as hi hats.....?????

Should make for a very dark and sloshy hat. I'd try it.
  6. alparrott

Your snare formula

My formula is more in the tuning and playing than in the size. As lots of you old-timers know, I've had a few snares in the past five or six years, and currently I own a 5x14 Ludwig Standard aluminium, a 6.5x14 Ludwig Black Magic, and a 7x13 Guru walnut stave. I use a single-ply head...
  7. alparrott

Small Tom Mount/Stand

PDP uses a 10.5 mm tom arm. You can get one here: https://www.guitarcenter.com/PDP-by-DW/105mm-Tom-Arm-Accessory-Clamp.gc
  8. alparrott

The First Kit You Got

Mine was a Westwood. But there's dozens and dozens of these stencil brands that came from the same factories at about the same time.
  9. alparrott

In ear monitor under 150 dollars.

I've also been using these for a few years and for $49 they're pretty unbeatable, especially with Comply foam tips. Buy a small mixer (I have a small Yamaha MG10C 10-channel mixer) for under $99 and you're there.
  10. alparrott

Why I don't want help taking down, even carrying my drums.

Back in my stupid younger prog days I used to play a huge drumset and mount it on a rack - just the thing for quick changeouts at the club 🤨 After one show, a friend offered to help me break down the kit and I told him to "disassemble the rack", meaning just pull the rack tubes apart. When I...
  11. alparrott

Ever regret selling something?

I let go of a 1960s vintage Ludwig Pioneer in blue deco when I was getting a divorce and deep in debt. I sold it to a music store for peanuts and they resold it for over $400 if I recall correctly.
  12. alparrott

Share your clever drum hacks

Back to seriousness... I figured out a way to put one of those magnetic cell phone mounts in a piece of tubing. I can multi-clamp it to my hi-hat and stick my phone to it. Great for setlists, camera angles, liveBPM, etc. I also multi-clamp an 18" gooseneck directly to my kick spur in order to...
  13. alparrott

Need recommendation for 19" crash cymbal for classic rock

I have an A Zildjian 19" medium-thin crash I bought in 1988 that I still use for everything. It does well at all kinds of music and I use it extensively in my classic rock covers band.
  14. alparrott

What is your workhorse snare from your collection?

I rotate between my Guru 7x13" walnut (I believe it's the last one made) and my Ludwig Black Magic 6.5x14". Both sound amazing and work for nearly anything I do.
  15. alparrott

Your least played snare(s)

I'm also down to three snares: My Guru 7x13" walnut, my Ludwig Black Magic 6.5x14", and my Ludwig Standard 5x14" aluminium. The Standard stays in its case the most now, as I find the other two do everything I want beautifully. I think I played it on a couple of jazz gigs last year and a...