Recent content by aboylikedave

1. A

Sabian HH Duo Ride

Any opinions? Are they versatile like the HH mediums and OK in an unmic'd setting? Or are they really just a jazz or ride?
  2. A

Interesting groupings - rudiments around the kit

I've just learnt to play triplets in groupings of 4 around the kit as paradiddles and it sounds great (sort of implies a 3 over 4 polyrhythm). Does anyone have any similar groupings of rudiments which I could try out? Hope this makes sense!
  3. A

Jazz - next steps for a beginner

I’ve been playing drums for four years but still think of myself as a beginner and really want to develop my jazz playing so last week I arranged a beginners/intermediate jam (put an ad up and got loads of replies). I enjoyed it but thought I was terrible! I’ve got my ride cymbal pattern and...
  4. A

Versatile Istanbul or Bosphorus

Hi guys I'm after a versatile ride cymbal for funk, light rock and pop - I hear mainly about Bos/Istanbul for the jazzier side of things in light weights. But how are the mediums or heavies for a more versatile ride? EDIT: As they are heavier are they slightly drier sounding? I think that may...
  5. A

Coated heads for kick drum?

Hi - I'm going to go with Remo Ambassador for my kick. Anything thicker or premuffled just kills my Stage Custom 20 kick. Why is it that you rarely see a coated head on a kick? What are your opinions on coated or clear for kick drums? I'd be interested in your opinions for both batter and...
  6. A

Sabian HHX Stage Ride

Any good? Sound good in the sound files, but are they possibly a bit dull or 'lacklustre'?
  7. A

Coltrane - Favorite Things

As a relative beginner I'm getting together with a sax player to play My Favorite Things and other tunes. There's a couple of things I'd like to ask if anyone can help me with. Firstly, I can't make out exactly what Elvin Jones is doing with the hi hat - is he playing the chick on 2 and 3, or...
  8. A

S-l-o-w jazz ballads

Hi guys. I've not done a lot of jazz, and I'm about to play with a sax player. He's really into Sonny Rollins and wants to play a version of 'God Bless the Child' off the album Bridges. I've listened to the track but can't quite make out what's going on. There's a brush swish but there's...
  9. A

Jazz Fake or Real books

Hi guys Which one should I get? Fake or Real? If I go online on ebay or Amazon there's a few, all claiming to be the 'real' one! Any pointers? Cheers
  10. A

M Birch vs Stage Custom

HI guys I've got the chance to upgrade my Yamaha Stage Custom to a Mapex M Birch (both 20 x 16 kick), catch is I won't get a chance to try it first. How do you think I will find the Mapex sound in comparison?
  11. A

Using ride cymbal well

HI Guys One area of my playing I'm really not happy with is my use of the ride (I'm sort of beginner/intermediate). Whenever I move over to the ride I tend to get a bit of an uncontrollable wash. Sounds crude sort of. Any ideas? Is not controlling wash a common beginners fault? Its a...
  12. A

Istanbul Samatya

Hi, does any of the Istanbul experts know much about these? The crash caught my ear at a shop once and then I bought this 18" one when it came up on ebay for about 45BP. I really like it, not a particularly 'sophisticated' sound, earthy yet musical without being trashy or complex. My main...
  13. A

20 x 16 Bass Drum Sound

Hi guys I've got a Yamaha Stage Custom which is great, but I just can't get a decent sound out of the kick drum. I've heard that the bass drum is the weakest thing with these kits - is this true? Or is it the size and 20x16 kicks unlikely to get a really good sound? I'm no expert but...
  14. A

Zildjian witout a stamp

HI there I have a second hand 20 ride bought as zIldjian Avedis late '90s or so. I like the sound but the odd thing is it has no actual 'deep' embossed stamp - the Zildjian logo just seems a sort of dark etched type thing but its smooth. Did some Zildjians have this sort of 'stamp' at this time?
  15. A

Hi Hat 16ths technique

This guy posted a clip of himself playing solely to show of his Ludwig kit and not to do with technique. One thing I noticed was the relaxed look of his RH 16ths on the hat and ride and the accenting. http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=54329729 How can I work...