Tama Superstars

MikeM

Platinum Member
I went to check out some 15" New Beats from a Craigslist ad a few weeks ago. Turns out I didn't care much for the hats, but got to talking to the seller about drums and he was really into Tama Superstars from the '80s. I used to have one of those back then so this was interesting. He pieced together a complete kit by being patient but he got it done.

Inspired by this idea, I trolled eBay long enough to buy these guys. Should be getting them within the next week or so. I'm pretty excited about them.

Specs: 24x14, 13x9 TT, 14x10 TT, 18x16 FT. Trolling for 15x14 and 16x16 in progress.

Attachments

• stacked drums (2) (965x1024).jpg
    stacked drums (2) (965x1024).jpg
    254 KB · Views: 3,437
Ah man, they look gorgeous... I feel nostalgic, these were sooo good back then :))

That the red cherry finish isn't it? Agree with BFY, they're in exellent condition :)

You're in for some serious drumming Mike, I envy you :)

The kit I had I bought new in '86 and they were the same color but they had the really deep toms. Not sure why I ordered them that way but I quickly discovered that despite that they were pretty to look at, they were a pain to play.

I might troll for a 22" kick, too, since a 14x10 can sit pretty high on top of a 24.

Can't wait to hear that loud thick birch shell again! I think I'll run some black dot heads all around.

Those are monster. And gorgeous. would love to hear the thunder.

Awesome mate. Look like they were made for you.

What's the likelihood of finding the 15" floor? I'm sure the 16" will rear it's head in no time, but you're one of the few guys I've heard of who favour a 15" FT. I'd wager I could live to be 150 and still not see one here in Oz, many about in the States?

Tama never made a 15" floor tom back then that I'm aware of, but they did make a 15"x14" rack tom. I saw one on eBay sell 3 days ago for 100 bucks. I can't imagine anyone throwing one of those up as a rack. Seem like a massively crazy idea - I'd just put floor tom legs on and be done with it.

Now that you mention it, I don't know what my original fixation was with 15" floors. I think I decided once that 16s and 18s were too hard to tune with enough separation.

but they did make a 15"x14" rack tom.

My god......was there ever an era of sheer unadulterated excess like the 80's!!

Still, it answers my question. Certainly sounds like it will be easy enough to do. God bless the power tom, hey.

Now that you mention it, I don't know what my original fixation was with 15" floors.

Why not.......you're a rare breed my friend.

Those are truly gorgeous! Congrats! But I think you now need to pick up a 14x8 snare for the kit, too!

Great kit!!
I dig 15" floor toms too. 12x15" toms too, but for me, that'd be way to huge a "tom".
Love the sound though.

I've never cared for a 14x14, but a 13x15 is a fantastic sounding drum.

Very nice Mike.My superstars are the 1977, 9600 series,4 ply,6MM with rerings.14x22,9x13,10x14,16x16.in what Tama called custom walnut finish.Its almost the same as mahogany,but its a satin finish.I also picked up a 8x12,6.5x8,and a 12x14 tom,that was a mounted tom,but I use it as a floor tom,and the separation between that and the 16x16 is just about right.

I also have a 8x14 superstar snare(birch)and a banged up kingbeat COS snare.Those drums sound huge.Warm and fat.The bass drum and floor tom are just thunderous.

I should be getting my digital camera back next week,and I'll try to post pics.

Great drums my friend.:)

Steve B

Very nice Mike.My superstars are the 1977, 9600 series,4 ply,6MM with rerings.14x22,9x13,10x14,16x16.in what Tama called custom walnut finish.Its almost the same as mahogany,but its a satin finish.I also picked up a 8x12,6.5x8,and a 12x14 tom,that was a mounted tom,but I use it as a floor tom,and the separation between that and the 16x16 is just about right.

I also have a 8x14 superstar snare(birch)and a banged up kingbeat COS snare.Those drums sound huge.Warm and fat.The bass drum and floor tom are just thunderous.

I should be getting my digital camera back next week,and I'll try to post pics.

Great drums my friend.:)

Steve B
Thanks, Steve. Your set up is what I'm ultimately going for: 13 & 14 over a 22" kick with a 16" floor. That would be configuration #2.

Config #1 will either be 24/13/16/18 or 24/14/16/18 depending on my mood. This is really close to what I'm already playing (24/13/15/18). I'll be on the lookout for a 16" floor and 22" kick eventually.

Also, I want the 6.5x14 King Beat or Mastercraft COS. I used to have the Mastercraft (8056) until a few years ago when I stupidly sold it. One of only about two steel snares I've heard that I like - perhaps 'like' isn't strong enough. More like head-over-heels in love with...

... I think you now need to pick up a 14x8 snare for the kit, too!
That's an excellent idea! Maybe once the funds are replenished...
Great looking set. I love the older drums....they just have character and class.
I couldn't agree more!
Great kit!!
I dig 15" floor toms too. 12x15" toms too, but for me, that'd be way to huge a "tom".
Love the sound though.

I've never cared for a 14x14, but a 13x15 is a fantastic sounding drum.
We should make a club for 15" floor tom fans!

Man, those lugs are HUGE!!! Just messing with ya. :) You did see my buddies kit that I put up a while back.

Image1.jpg

Man, those lugs are HUGE!!! Just messing with ya. :) You did see my buddies kit that I put up a while back.
I do remember seeing those. They look like they're in great shape, too. Very nice. Familiar setup, though. Where have I seen that one before... Hmm. Well, the three rack toms, anyway.

I do remember seeing those. They look like they're in great shape, too. Very nice.
He is the original owner of most of them. I think he added the small ones up top from ebay. You picked a nice colour. Have fun building.
I think there was a famous drummer that I know who had that same colour. :)

Neilsdrumkit.jpg

I always liked those lugs. Very similar to my first new kit which was a Rogers. I bought a used Imperialstar kit in the 80's.

scan0007.jpg

I had the exact same kit that I got new in 1982. The finish is called Super Mahogany. Great drums, I sold them last year.

Do you have the original mirror reso head?

With out a doubt, early 80's SuperStars are my favorite drums - great drums yes, but I guess it's mostly nostalgia.
I reluctantly had to sell my 83's (22x16, 15x12 & 12x8) a while ago...
I know I'll have have another set of them but this time I'm NOT letting them go!

Attachments

• IMG_2103.jpeg
    IMG_2103.jpeg
    131.4 KB · Views: 2,125
Back