Found an A Custom Gem Yesterday

?uesto

Silver Member
Hey guys, I had to share my incredible find with you all..

I've recently been looking for a nice bright ride I can use in a pop/rock setting but that can be crashed. I've experimented with a lot of the popular ones but there's always something I don't really dig about each one. Usually the tone, sometimes the weight or the wash or the bell or more recently, its ability to cut through the guitars in my rock band.

But yesterday at work, sitting in the used rack was a pre-owned 20" Zildjian A Custom Ride, but it's like no other of it's kind. As soon as I grabbed it, I could feel the thinner outside of the cymbal. The bell was also smaller, and more integrated into the cymbal, as opposed to the real prominent, pronounced bells on the newer A Custom rides.

I threw it on a stand, rode on it a little bit, and then hit the crash. What a sound! (Wasn't this dramatic, but I was very happy to find something like it)

Anyone know the deal with older A Custom rides like this?

6ca2282c.jpg

bd857866.jpg

32a3074f.jpg

It's drummers Karma. If you stick with it long enough, and they feel you are worthy, the Gods will make sure magic cymbals cross your path. It's a good sign when you find something that totally does it for you. Congratulations, I understand your joy.

It's drummers Karma. If you stick with it long enough, and they feel you are worthy, the Gods will make sure magic cymbals cross your path. It's a good sign when you find something that totally does it for you. Congratulations, I understand your joy.

I never would have thought there would have been something as cookie-cutter and [usually] not-for-me, as an A Custom ride that was so perfect.. ^_^

While I own and love a few a custom crashes and a splash,the rides have never been my favorite,a lot of then were a little harsh near field to my ears,I have heard a few 20" meds that I liked,and actually a couple of heavier ones also.

I think the older ones were lighter,and not as stiff ,you may have one of these that was especially sweet,and has aged/played in nicely.

As an aside,even though I do find the A custom rides a little harsh near field,I have heard them in pop,rock and smooth jazz context live and they do a good job of cutting through,and sound good in that application IMO.

Congrats on finding something you like. I have a 22 ping a custom and Thor could not crash it. And if Thor did manage to crash it, the sound would be horrible

Back