Help a Snare Ho. Which snare next?

P33v3

I am in an interesting position. It have all of the snares I want. So the question becomes what now? I kind of like being a snare ho but as of yesterday have the ones I set out to get. So my question for all of you is do you see any glaring things missing (or any music styles not covered)in my collection?

A few of things to note:

• I play the crap out of anything I have (no collector pieces).
  • I don't really like anything over 5.5 inches deep. (Other than the one I already have and my marching snare).
  • I've had bad luck with acrylic drums so am not looking for any of those.
  • I play any music asked, so no particular style.

Here is my collection thus far.

- DW Collectors Copper - 5 X 14
- DW Collectors Copper - 6 X 14
- DW Collectors Maple 10 + 6 - 5 X 14
- Mapex Velvetone - 5.5 X 14
- Mapex Pro Piccolo - 3.5 X 13
- Ludwig Supraphonic - 5 X 14
- Ludwig Black Beauty 5 X 14
- Crush Brass 4 X 14
- Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz Mahogany 5 X 14
- Pearl FFX Championship Maple 13 X 11

buy my DW Collectors Brass 6.5 x 14. I'll make ya a deal you cant refuse.

F

Any particular brands/models?

My next snare will be a Brady jarrah block. They also make drums out of sheoak, wandoo and any other number of Aussie hardwoods.....:http://www.bradydrums.com.au/block.html

Drummerworld's very own Keep It Simple is a representative of Guru drums: http://www.gurudrumworks.co.uk/ They make some fine instruments. I'm sure he'd be happy to hook you up.

There's a ton of independant drum builders making awesome sounding stave, steambent, segemented and ply snares in all sorts of exotic woods. There's even a few of them here on DW......Motley is one. Unix is another. Uniongoon is a third......and I know there's more than that. [Sorry to the other guys whose names escape me at the moment.]

Failing that, start Googling and happy hunting.

Last edited:
So let me rephrase the question. Some snares are considered gotta haves. For instance the Supraphonic and Black Beauty. So if you were to include non-modern snares are there any that come to mind? You know something like a Slingerland Radio King, Older Rogers Dynasonic, or Gene Krupa model. Mainly looking for something distinctive.

buy my DW Collectors Brass 6.5 x 14. I'll make ya a deal you cant refuse.

F

Thanks for the offer. But I do have a Crush Brass snare for brushes (similar to the Remo Mastersound Ed Thigpen used) and a Black Beauty. As much as I like DW I kind of have Brass covered.

You don't seem to have a bronze snare in your arsenal. How about something like that? Can't speak highly enough of my Luddy hammered bronze, but there's a host of others that get a good wrap here as well. Sweet tones!!

I think the snare in this video is killer, I found it on the studio's website, can't remember what it was but I think it's an old WFL

http://vimeo.com/28851036

Was also going to say one of the Pearl Free Floaters, and the Sonor Danny Carey signature snare but that's got a few extra inches than what you're after ;)

Doesn't look like you have any steel drums either.

You don't seem to have a bronze snare in your arsenal. How about something like that? Can't speak highly enough of my Luddy hammered bronze, but there's a host of others that get a good wrap here as well. Sweet tones!!

Good suggestion. I'll have to check one out. I know Mapex has some pretty good Black Panther ones that are easy to find.

I think the snare in this video is killer, I found it on the studio's website, can't remember what it was but I think it's an old WFL

http://vimeo.com/28851036

Was also going to say one of the Pearl Free Floaters, and the Sonor Danny Carey signature snare but that's got a few extra inches than what you're after ;)

Doesn't look like you have any steel drums either.

Yeah my Marching snare is a Pearl free floater and I quickly learned not to change both heads at the same time. Those free floater sound great but are a PIA to get lined back up.

I'm not sure what you mean, I haven't tried taking both heads off but is there some reason that I shouldn't?

I own the 2nd generation brass 14x6.5 model (round posts, extended snares)

Since the hoops are floating if you remove all of the lugs (at least on the marching snare) each individual floating lug comes apart from the hoop. So when you put it back together you have to get them lined up just right on the hoops. SO don't take them both apart at the same time.

Canopus make a bronze 14" by 4" which is a beauty. Way too expensive here in Oz but perhaps less so in the US.
Dutch

Canopus make a bronze 14" by 4" which is a beauty. Way too expensive here in Oz but perhaps less so in the US.
Dutch

I love Oz. Love the land, the accents, etc. Well except that like 8 of the 10 deadliest snakes in the world are indigenous to Australia including the Fierce snake. Both of my cars are Australian (a 2004 and 2005 Americanized version of the Holden Monaro). I know things are hard to get there and expensive. I think the last time I won something on eBay from there shipping was like 3 times as expensive as what I paid for the item.

Unless you are collecting "Names" try an Ahead steel, and a Pearl Sensitone Elite also in steel.

Not fancy names but give them a try, both have killer sounds.

Back