The hidden drummer

Congratulations...you're going to Hollywood, or Pollywood

Last edited:
And background has absolutely nothing to do with creating a gem of a performance. This performance Pol, is a gem. I've had few, if any, gem performances in my truncated "career". Stand proud, tits out, & say to yourself "yeah, I nailed that"!

You're a nice lad! Okay, I'll say with tits out (not much choice there) yes, it was a clean take :) Howzat? It's nice to occasionally not have any serious wince moments. There was one spot where a little fill wasn't quite there but not a cringer ... and the band all pulled it together, which was a nice surprise.

It's so different to rock, Andy. The drums are so prominent in the mix. After two years it's finally dawning on me (doh!) that in this loungey style I often need to pull right back and occupy a lower place in the mix.

Congratluations...you're going to Hollywood, or Pollywood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_kbGttueAY

With the great Jim Keltner on drums!

Cheers muchly, guys. Not inclined to agree with this "world class" accusation but I'd rather you say that than "bottom of the class" :)

lol, ... and keep in mind that is was some underrated comments on your drumming in this song Polly, we don't want to be responsible for keeping you in the room you're typing your DW posts, we have made allowances for you to be able to go accross the door entrance ;-))

Ho ho

Now for a less happy place. I received this email from YouTube:
Dear AlmostEthical,

Your video, BMs - Sunny Afternoon, may have content that is owned or licensed by EMI Music Publishing.

No action is required on your part; however, if you're interested in learning how this affects your video, please visit the Content ID Matches section of your account for more information.

Sincerely,

- The YouTube Team
I have more than a dozen cover versions on my channel and now suddenly this BS about a rehearsal room recording on a little H2. Do they think this will compete in the marketplace with The Kinks? lol

Does anyone know what goes on and how this works? It all seems absurd.

Ho ho

Now for a less happy place. I received this email from YouTube:
Dear AlmostEthical,

Your video, BMs - Sunny Afternoon, may have content that is owned or licensed by EMI Music Publishing.

No action is required on your part; however, if you're interested in learning how this affects your video, please visit the Content ID Matches section of your account for more information.

Sincerely,

- The YouTube Team
I have more than a dozen cover versions on my channel and now suddenly this BS about a rehearsal room recording on a little H2. Do they think this will compete in the marketplace with The Kinks? lol

Does anyone know what goes on and how this works? It all seems absurd.
Yes Pol, I get those too. Here's what happens, YT has software that recognises key elements in your clip. It automatically matches that to a data base of material they've received from all manner of material owners. If a match flags up, these owners are contacted and given three choices: 1/ do nothing 2/ have the content removed (you have the right to appeal) 3/ place adverts on your clip from which they earn money.

Essentially, if you put covers up on YT, you've got little choice but to put up with it. I've not had a clip pulled yet, & that's kinda disappointing in a way, because someone didn't regard it as a threat :) :) :) In all seriousness, most material owners recognise that keeping versions of their material out there, serves to further promote sales of the original. I strongly suspect that a video is only likely to be pulled if there's a flagrant commercial challenge.

All that said, your clip could easily fall into the category of "threat", as it challenges, if not exceeds the original in terms of quality of performance IMO.

Thanks for the info, Andy. I once posted an old KD Lang song that was so out of circulation you can just get a 2nd hand version on Amazon for $3. It was legalised out of existence within a day. Probably the only publicity for the album in over a decade.

Lawyers + programming = Mindless control

All that said, your clip could easily fall into the category of "threat", as it challenges, if not exceeds the original in terms of quality of performance IMO.

I doubt they give a toss about quality, though. If the vid became a Rebecca Black-esque YouTube sensation they'd be interested, and it wouldn't even matter if we performed with even more extreme levels of talent, sincerity and imagination of that genius vixen artiste ...

Lawyers + programming = Mindless control

Yes it's totally absurd, there's thousands of covers, "drums" covers, singing covers, "parody" covers (mocking an artist) and the likes ...

So I don't really understand why you received that mail, there's millions of bands who upload cover versions of song in rock, jazz, etc, do they all recieved it? I doubt it, mindless control indeed :(

Perhaps you could give a diffent title or comment when uploading your vid, surely the YT software cannot recognize the music being played within a video.

And Andy, your latest video will be warranted of several e-mails from YT ... :)

Perhaps you could give a diffent title or comment when uploading your vid, surely the YT software cannot recognize the music being played within a video.

Henri, amazingly it can. I uploaded the KD Lang track with tell-tale file name and info. It was quickly attacked. So I took it down, changed the file name and added no comments. It was hit again.

There was no metadata because it was an MP3 I'd converted from cassette, which had been recorded from the LP that I owned.

Big Brother is watching ... and listening!

Yes it already got the obligatory statement attached.

As Pol mentioned this Rebecca Black "artitse", I thought I'd check her out (I'm completely ignorant of such teen manufactured beasties). Love this, & just for Pol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVlY3ZTrBkw

Ooh, that was brutal ... but as with the original, I still couldn't get all the way through it.

Big Brother is watching ... and listening!
As Pol confirmed Henri, it can.

Amazing and pointless ... really, in the sense that many bands do covers, it's not a threat to the original bands, quite the contrary.

YT big brother must be very busy, almost 70% of what is uploaded on YT, regardless of topics, do not belong to the person who put it on line, all my vids, exept 2 have YT comments attached.

As Pol confirmed Henri, it can. I even tested the theory that it only scans the first 30 seconds/ 1 minute, whatever, but no, it seems to scan the lot. We put up a cover with a near 2 minute original intro, & it still managed to latch on :(

That was a good idea. I didn't think of that. And they still sleuthed it!

Here's an experiment - a recent rehearsal of our formative Feeling Good with a disguised name ... DEFINITELY no threat to anyone! Almost the entire intro is a train wreck and there are bum notes and stuffups throughout. Also a fair bit of goosing around ... listen for the final stop and the length of the gap before it comes back in :)

One of those kinds of postings that people tend to describe as "brave" but it WILL get better :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFmE-Xgp9Co

If I get a notice on that one, well - it's not technology, it's magic!

YT big brother must be very busy, almost 70% of what is uploaded on YT, regardless of topics, do not belong to the person who put it on line, all my vids, exept 2 have YT comments attached.

Dunno. It seems that it depends on the company. Seems that some are playing hardball. There's no easy answer ...

love the images Pol :) Did you get the notice yet?

Actually, all stumbles are forgivable due to Glenn's stellar voice, & I like the overall vibe. I'm not usually a fan of key changes (read: we've run out of ideas), but this one works, especially supported by the guitar bend to pitch.

If I get a notice on that one, well - it's not technology, it's magic!

True ... most of your performances are not technical ... they're magical :) *just for the "love fest" relationship :) *

368706_100002514204100_120348701_n.jpg
*MAD looking @ Polly...*

I liked the ending ... it gives more emphasis of the "felling good" factor :)

Good and appropriate images throughout the clip though :p

love the images Pol :) Did you get the notice yet?

Actually, all stumbles are forgivable due to Glenn's stellar voice, & I like the overall vibe. I'm not usually a fan of key changes (read: we've run out of ideas), but this one works, especially supported by the guitar bend to pitch.

No hassles at this stage. That says something about our efforts :) As you can see, I'm not shocked by your warts and all efforts because my band knows how to produce really big, ugly warts!

The key change is in the Michael Buble version so we went with it. I was chatting with our guitarist the other day about Led Zep's The Ocean, which I think is a great example of a song being flubbed when no one can think how to develop it.

True ... most of your performances are not technical ... they're magical :)

Yeah yeah, bullsh* bullsh* :)

Good and appropriate images throughout the clip though :p

Fun to assemble (took about 15 mins) - copyright notices as art. I might receive a copyright notice for using someone's copyright symbol without permission haha

Back