I'm screwed. Or rather, my P85 is.

Soupy

Silver Member
I love my Acrolite. Part because it was essentially free, part because it's just a nice drum.

Problem is the screws on the venerable P85/P32 throwoff and butt are partially stripped by a previous owner. And every time I take the wires off, it feels like they strip just a tiny bit more... takes a lot of work to hold the screwdriver tight. And with 42 strand snares on there, I very much prefer taking the snares off to tune. And having to use a screwdriver is just a PITA when those things should properly be drum key screws.

So does anyone know if there are drum key screws which would fit the P85 and P32? Otherwise, maybe I'll try to find some replacements at the hardware store... final option would be to cough up the dough to replace them entirely. P86 and P33 use the same hole spacing, right? That'll solve the screwdriver problem, but my P85 works fine, so I hate to replace it if it isn't broke, except for the fact that it /is/ broke, sort of.

get yourself some small stainless m3 (I think) alan screws. Doesn't matter how long they are, you can saw them down easy enough. Because stainless is softer than steel, chances are they will strip before the but or strainer thread does! I use them on my Iron cobra.

The allan screws work well.You can replace the P-85 /32 with a newer P-86/33.The mounting holes are the same.

Steve B

Sounds like you are referring to the cross point/ phillips head portion of the screw is stripping, not the actual threads. If so, but new stainless steel screws at the hardawre store. If it's the threads are causing the problems, treat yourself to a new P86 and P32. I wouldn't bother with the diecast more expensive P33 butt.

The P-86 throw-off on my Ludwig Classic Maple snare use phillips screws to attach the snare wires to the mount. Best bet is probably just finding the same type threads and just replacing the screws in the throw-off that you have. Once the screw driver starts to slip on phillips head screws, they're usually not long for the world. Some times if they get too bad, I have to use vise grips to remove them. There is no smallish drum key type screw that is small enough to replace it, as far as I'm aware. Re-tapping probably isn't an option either because of the limited space on the plates.

Dennis

Once the screw driver starts to slip on phillips head screws, they're usually not long for the world.

Absolutely agree, which is why I'm looking at options sooner rather than later. Some of the photos I've seen of the P86 have drum key screws, some not. http://www.justdrumsonline.com/p-5307-ludwig-p-86-snare-throw-off.aspx

That Dunnett looks nice too, a shame it's not out for a bit longer. I guess I might end up going the inexpensive route and swap out the screws. Never impressed with Home Depot's fastener selection though, have to see what they've got. Or just figure out what threads I've got and order from McMaster Carr.

Not so fast on the P-86 having key screws.
Called Ludwig with this (after I saw pics), and they had no knowledge of such a thing (??????)
SO, what about these pics?.. Someone may have photoshoped them, or a particular place may have some key screws to fit, but a few months ago, the official word from Ludwig parts was there are no key screws on the P86.
If that's not the case now, I have no idea, but, I was there when my guy called Ludwig's part dept.

I'd call that shop to confirm they actually have key screws on them, if you go to buy (and then let us know!).

Just so you don't spend some money, the newer Die Cast butt plate has different hole spacing than the one on the Acro. It DOES NOT FIT.

I popped in some Allen head screws on one of my throws, and it works great.
No harder to grab the Allen tool than a key if I'm changing wires, and it's easier than a screwdriver.
If the throw holes are stripped, you can put a nut on the other side. You don't need to totally open it up anyway when changing string or a strap. I never have issues with it, and the nuts were just an added thing I thought it couldn't hurt to have.

Thanks for the link on the R4-L G-2. I wondered what the hold up was (for a year or so!).
THIS throw looks to be awesome since it's no doubt as nice as his others.
Looks great with the Keystone back plate, and Ronn is a Ludwig buff too, so it's going to be a quality piece.

Not so fast on the P-86 having key screws.
Called Ludwig with this (after I saw pics), and they had no knowledge of such a thing (??????)
SO, what about these pics?.. Someone may have photoshoped them, or a particular place may have some key screws to fit, but a few months ago, the official word from Ludwig parts was there are no key screws on the P86.
If that's not the case now, I have no idea, but, I was there when my guy called Ludwig's part dept.

I'd call that shop to confirm they actually have key screws on them, if you go to buy (and then let us know!).

Just so you don't spend some money, the newer Die Cast butt plate has different hole spacing than the one on the Acro. It DOES NOT FIT.

I popped in some Allen head screws on one of my throws, and it works great.
No harder to grab the Allen tool than a key if I'm changing wires, and it's easier than a screwdriver.
If the throw holes are stripped, you can put a nut on the other side. You don't need to totally open it up anyway when changing string or a strap. I never have issues with it, and the nuts were just an added thing I thought it couldn't hurt to have.

Thanks for the link on the R4-L G-2. I wondered what the hold up was (for a year or so!).
THIS throw looks to be awesome since it's no doubt as nice as his others.
Looks great with the Keystone back plate, and Ronn is a Ludwig buff too, so it's going to be a quality piece.

I stand corrected Karl.I was told that the P-33 butt would fit the original holes,and after posting,I decide to make sure,and I was wrong.I know that the P-86 fits but not the P-33 butt plate.

To me,that dosen't make a lick of sense.How many more of those could Ludwig sell, if the P-33 lined up with the P-32 mounting holes?

My apoligies to the OP.I throw myself on my sword.;o)

Steve B

Some of the photos I've seen of the P86 have drum key screws, some not.

Glad you brought this up mate. I'd wondered about that myself. I figured they must have finally joined the 21st century and made the upgrade. Was all set to send an order off to the States for 4 new P-86's purely because I thought they must now come with drum key screws. Can't seem to order them here in Oz and I'm met with blank stares every time I bring it up at my local store.......looks like this thread has just saved me from wasting my time.

To me,that dosen't make a lick of sense. How many more of those could Ludwig sell, if the P-33 lined up with the P-32 mounting holes?

+1.

Some of Ludwig's decisions are truely baffling. It was only yesterday that I just received a brand new P-33 that I bought off Aussie ebay with the intention of swapping out the P-32 on my old 400 too. How bloody typical!!

On the P-33, I found out the hard way.... Oh well, it was only a couple bucks.

Actually, I was surprised at how inexpensive it was. I get GREAT prices at the shop but this was stupid cheap. Not complaining though!
I used it on a drum I had built, so no biggie (7x14 Red Sparkle, split mini classic, rounded edges...very cool :)!)

I'm half tempted to get a hold of that supplier myself and see what the deal is. It's very odd.

If anyone else needs to replace their screws: My P85 and P32 both use #6-32 screws, 1/2" long on the P32, and 3/8" on the P85. I ended up with shorter screws for my P85, as I suspect it was slightly bent by the previous owner, and the 3/8" screws rubbed the hoop a little.

Shame the P33 doesn't fit and the P86 may not have drum key screws. Wonder if the R4L will also have a P32-compatible butt option.

Back