Who watched the Grammy's? Any thoughts?

I really enjoyed the Grammys but the best for me was Taylor Swift and her band. Not really my type of music in the past but I have few rules when it comes to tastefully done music.

She was smooth and she is also a take charge person, I just hope she stops the whole Oh, I'm so surprised their applauding routine. Other than that it was a very fine performance.
A Canadian singer songwriter who in my opinion is a better writer and singer is Serena Ryder, I think you would like her as her material has more of an edge but is still listener freindly.
Here is her website and a link to a live performance if you care to check it out.

http://www.serenaryder.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMfdFsY0S2U

She was smooth and she is also a take charge person, I just hope she stops the whole Oh, I'm so surprised their applauding routine. Other than that it was a very fine performance.
A Canadian singer songwriter who in my opinion is a better writer and singer is Serena Ryder, I think you would like her as her material has more of an edge but is still listener freindly.
Here is her website and a link to a live performance if you care to check it out.

I thought she was acting surprised because the audience gave her a standing ovation... It sure seemed like they were when I watched it live.

@Sticks4drums
-I watched the Foo Fighters documentary and I gained a lot of respect for them. But... I dont feel that they should be considered a "Hard Rock/Heavy Metal" Band. That award needed to be for real metal bands.

Agree. The Foos are a great band, but there is nothing metal about them.
They already cleaned up in the "rock" field, seems silly they also win the "hard rock/metal" award as well for the same album.

Dream Theater is better.
Fixed. :p

You mean Dream Theater picked up a nomination? Sure, they're "good" players, and if there was a category for contrived shredder jocks with only an overwrought songwriting sense, they'd win it every time.

I agree that the Foos are not metal at all, but they are definitely hard rock. I'm not convinced they're grammy-worthy, but given the competition and the Grammies history of giving the nod to acts with staying power, probably not such a stretch seeing Foos picking up all he trophies.

@MikeM
Yeah, I see where you are coming from, but when do super talented musicians like dream theater ever gain respect from the mainstream? Now why is it that its always got to be a mainstream songwriter/band that wins a grammy? Foo Fighters do at least have some musical ability and creativity but they've already been recognized by the public many times. Even though I'm near furious that Dream Theater didn't win, I'm proud that they were at least recognized as a nominee and I still like the Foo Fighters. Maybe I just to care for whom ever votes on all this stuff.

@MikeM
Yeah, I see where you are coming from, but when do super talented musicians like dream theater ever gain respect from the mainstream? Now why is it that its always got to be a mainstream songwriter/band that wins a grammy? Foo Fighters do at least have some musical ability and creativity but they've already been recognized by the public many times. Even though I'm near furious that Dream Theater didn't win, I'm proud that they were at least recognized as a nominee and I still like the Foo Fighters. Maybe I just to care for whom ever votes on all this stuff.
Well, they might gain my respect if they could go back and remember what it was that drew them to music to begin with, instead of feeling such a strong need to justify their years spent in musical academia by trying to prove how ridiculous they are capable of getting. As a listener, they only give me fatigue - like I'm hearing people trying force every exercise from every book into some thrown-together of song structure treated as an afterthought. All that noodling is unnecessary and a cover for the fact that they can't write a song.

I'd be much more supportive of Rush getting a Grammie nod (elated, actually), because for all their musicianship, they always seemed to understand that the song was the most important part (like them or not).

Use whatever skills you have to serve the song, but without the song, the skills are just wank.

I know and I do realize that they aren't the band that is gonna appeal to girls or women. Foo Fighters do and so did all the other people that got awards(typically) . I say that if women don't like your sound(or look) you won't get a grammy. Look at Rush, all the girls I know at school are like "You mean that band of old guys with the drummer who's kit is huge." If you don't appeal to women you won't win. lol

Well, they might gain my respect if they could go back and remember what it was that drew them to music to begin with, instead of feeling such a strong need to justify their years spent in musical academia by trying to prove how ridiculous they are capable of getting. As a listener, they only give me fatigue - like I'm hearing people trying force every exercise from every book into some kind of song structure. All that noodling is unnecessary and a cover for the fact that they can't write a song.

I'd be much more supportive of Rush getting a Grammie nod (elated, actually), because for all their musicianship, they never forgot that the song was the most important part (like them or not).

Use whatever skills you have to serve the song, but without the song, the skills are just wank.

Well I'm like the biggest DT fan you'll meet so I Could make this reply go on forever like one of there songs, but I won't.
1) Listen to the Awake album.
2) Listen to these songs: "Space-dye Vest" " I Walk Beside You"
SDV is very atmospheric and haunting, I walk beside you is more pop sounding like U2. Now tell me they can't write a song with meaning.
Dream theater can write the easy 4/4 song with a time change here and there like rush does quite often, but they opt not to cause it bores them as musicians that's why they write song songs or "Epics" that they do.
Seriously listen to those songs then check back with me. I'm not trying to be rude, I just want to get that out there.

MikeM,
my recommendation is: Listen to "Learning To Live" from Dream Theater's 2nd (and probably best) album "Images And Words". Now that's good music! Without the escapades.

Well I'm like the biggest DT fan you'll meet so I Could make this reply go on forever like one of there songs, but I won't.
1) Listen to the Awake album.
2) Listen to these songs: "Space-dye Vest" " I Walk Beside You"
SDV is very atmospheric and haunting, I walk beside you is more pop sounding like U2. Now tell me they can't write a song with meaning.
Dream theater can write the easy 4/4 song with a time change here and there like rush does quite often, but they opt not to cause it bores them as musicians that's why they write song songs or "Epics" that they do.
Seriously listen to those songs then check back with me. I'm not trying to be rude, I just want to get that out there.
Okay, I just listened to SDV an currently listening to "I Walk Beside You" (from Octavarium). You're right; big and majestic, and poppy, respectively.

I will say that neither did anything for me. Especially this U2 ripoff. They're kinda not my bag. But the thing is, or the larger piont is that songwriting itself is its own artform and a craft completely independent of the musicianship used to carry it out. Like any other skill, it takes a lot of practice and inspiration to get to the good stuff. If for some reason you feel like 4/4 is beneath you, then you're probably more focused on the playing end than the creation end. Don't get me wrong, I love a cool odd meter as much as the next geek drummer, but the minute it starts feeling forced or like it's starting to get too "clever" with jerky turnarounds, modulations, displacements and the like, then I quickly tune out. I like those elements, but only when used very sparingly. I can't handle whole sections made up of clutter.

If you can pull off stellar playing and inspired songwriting simultaneously, then you're a minor god in my book. The very best songwriters I've ever worked with were not that great in the playing department, and some of the best players I've played with became those types of players at the expense of songwriting development. My favorite players have healthy doses of both (and I've known preci9ouis few), but if I have to pick, I'll take the songwriter every time.

MikeM,
my recommendation is: Listen to "Learning To Live" from Dream Theater's 2nd (and probably best) album "Images And Words". Now that's good music! Without the escapades.
Listing to it now... yikes! The galloping thing at 7:40? What the hell is that all about? Hey, if that's what moves you, then great, but I gonged it at just under 10 minutes (reached my prog limit, apparently). Sorry, just not a DT fan, I guess. We don't all have to like the same stuff.

Okay, I just listened to SDV an currently listening to "I Walk Beside You" (from Octavarium). You're right; big and majestic, and poppy, respectively.

I will say that neither did anything for me. Especially this U2 ripoff. They're kinda not my bag. But the thing is, or the larger piont is that songwriting itself is its own artform and a craft completely independent of the musicianship used to carry it out. Like any other skill, it takes a lot of practice and inspiration to get to the good stuff. If for some reason you feel like 4/4 is beneath you, then you're probably more focused on the playing end than the creation end. Don't get me wrong, I love a cool odd meter as much as the next geek drummer, but the minute it starts feeling forced or like it's starting to get too "clever" with jerky turnarounds, modulations, displacements and the like, then I quickly tune out. I like those elements, but only when used very sparingly. I can't handle whole sections made up of clutter.

If you can pull off stellar playing and inspired songwriting simultaneously, then you're a minor god in my book. The very best songwriters I've ever worked with were not that great in the playing department, and some of the best players I've played with became those types of players at the expense of songwriting development. My favorite players have healthy doses of both (and I've known preci9ouis few), but if I have to pick, I'll take the songwriter every time.
Thank you firstly for taking the time to listen and form an opinion on songs you haven't heard. I respect you for that:) I''m not sure that you were saying that I feel 4/4 is beneath me or dt thinks 4/4 is beneath them. I love 4/4 cause its very easy to work with and you can do just about anything ya want with it in Rock music. I agree with you on the songwriting, look at Porcupine Tree they aren't all gods (except Gavin) but Steven Wilson is a quality songwriter. I think the whole Idea of who's songwriting abilities are better is more of an opinionated thing because as you said songwriting is an art in itself.

MikeM,

I agree about learning to live.
Fav Dt albums: 1) I&W 2) Awake 3)SFAM 4) Octovarium 5) Systematic Chaos 6) FII and the others are all pretty much Tied. I can't make up my mind about the new album... Just don't like the sound of those Pearls.

Thank you firstly for taking the time to listen and form an opinion on songs you haven't heard. I respect you for that:) I''m not sure that you were saying that I feel 4/4 is beneath me or dt thinks 4/4 is beneath them. I love 4/4 cause its very easy to work with and you can do just about anything ya want with it in Rock music. I agree with you on the songwriting, look at Porcupine Tree they aren't all gods (except Gavin) but Steven Wilson is a quality songwriter. I think the whole Idea of who's songwriting abilities are better is more of an opinionated thing because as you said songwriting is an art in itself.
Funny, I was just listen to PT! Those guys are very crafty (in a good way, IMO!). I wasn't sure if I meant you or DT, either... more of a general statement, I guess. FWIW, I'm walking this tightrope myself playing in a band where the chief songwriter only hits on 4/4 on accident. He knows nothing of theory and only seems mildly interested when I tell him that he's got 9/8, 7/8, and 5/8 all in the same song! It makes me laugh, to tell you the truth, because they flow so well. But then we had this bass player who seemed opposed to the smooth flow and wanted to spice it up by over complicating things. So we kicked him out!

. All that noodling is unnecessary and a cover for the fact that they can't write a song. .

While they do excel at noodling, they do have numerous songs that don't.

From their most recent album:
No drums, and not a single guitar solo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61OzwXZiDo8

Vacant, from Train of Thought
Again, no drums, no guitar! Just voice, piano and strings
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxK-_Q6VeZU

But whatever, I would never try to convince a non-DT fan to like the band. It's bad enough they sell out larger venues now. Getting front row tickets is hard and harder to do now that more people dig them. LOL

I can't make up my mind about the new album... Just don't like the sound of those Pearls.
I watched all the audition videos and must've got at least a little caught up in it all because I found myself looking fwd to the new album so I could check out Mangini (btw, I always dug Portnoy's drumming). I totally get his approach to the kit with splitting it down the middle and forcing us to rethink why our kits are set up the way they are... but then it comes out and I stream it right away on Rhapsody and ... gawd, I just can't get past the material adn the vocals. I told myself to get over it because I badly wanted to see them (okay, Mangini) when they came through town, but man, I just. could. not. handle. the. music. It wasn't just some mild distaste. It was more like active hate. Their philosophy on creating music rubs me wrong in a severe way.

So now I'm reading the new MD with Mangini and he's going on about how you're somehow not qualified to not like the music if you haven't taken the time to study the technical details of what they're doing, and I'm like, "These guys just don't get it." And for all Portnoy's going on about how much he liked the Beatles, he seems to have missed their greatest attribute: the songwriting.

I agree about learning to live.
Fav Dt albums: 1) I&W 2) Awake 3)SFAM 4) Octovarium 5) Systematic Chaos 6) FII and the others are all pretty much Tied. I can't make up my mind about the new album... Just don't like the sound of those Pearls.

Oh lordy, that pile of dog poo doesn't belong anywhere near the top 5.

And don't like the sound of the Pearls. Really? The drum tone makes or breaks an album?
I'd think song writing would be more of a key than what drum kit was used on the album.

Funny, I was just listen to PT! Those guys are very crafty (in a good way, IMO!). I wasn't sure if I meant you or DT, either... more of a general statement, I guess. FWIW, I'm walking this tightrope myself playing in a band where the chief songwriter only hits on 4/4 on accident. He knows nothing of theory and only seems mildly interested when I tell him that he's got 9/8, 7/8, and 5/8 all in the same song! It makes me laugh, to tell you the truth, because they flow so well. But then we had this bass player who seemed opposed to the smooth flow and wanted to spice it up by over complicating things. So we kicked him out!

That's funny he doesn't know that basic of theory time signatures are the basic foundation. But that's raw talent to be doo g odd time stuff not aware of it.

Back