Late 1960's Giant Beat users

opentune

Platinum Member
Besides John Bonham, I was curious if anybody knows of some other well-known Paiste Giant Beat users of the late 1960's. I'd like to listen to some of their recordings. Was Nick Mason... Kenny Jones...Simon Kirke? thanks. D

Yep. Nick Mason is one. Their shimmer can be heard on Dark Side of the Moon and seen in all their glory on the Live at Pompeii DVD.

Keith Moon also used 18" and 20" GB's around the same time.

Keith Moon also used 18" and 20" GB's around the same time.

I was under the impression Moon used Giant Beats his entire career, just different sizes. I could be mistaken, though. I had a hard time finding information on his gear when I went through my Keith Moon phase.

I was under the impression Moon used Giant Beats his entire career, just different sizes. I could be mistaken, though. I had a hard time finding information on his gear when I went through my Keith Moon phase.

They stopped production in '71 when the 2002's were released. No idea if he was able to get them made specially as an endorser (Bonham obviously wasn't.....he made the switch), but it's fair to say given how many he must have broken, he'd have run out of whatever he had managed to stockpile sometime soon after they stopped production. I'd hazard to guess it was 2002's from the early 70's until he curled his toes up.

Moon used what ever was available.

In the 60's, when The Who toured the states, he usually used rental gear.

He favored Paiste, but he used Zildjian as well. He can be seen in the video of "Who Are You" using mostly Zildians, but he signed a deal to finally be an actual Paiste endorser right before he died. Prior to right before his death, he never had a cymbal endorsement.

To the Original post: 2002's were introduced in 1971, so anyone who was a known Paiste fan before that date most likely used Giant Beats. But the problem with cymbal identification is neither Paiste or Zildjian put logos on their cymbals back then, so photos are usually of no use.

Back